Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Garden 2016

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 pm

I got mine planted last Wednesday. Yesterday I had lots of corn up, a few of the beans and two pumpkins. The next couple days things should start leaping out of the ground.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Dave wrote:I got mine planted last Wednesday. Yesterday I had lots of corn up, a few of the beans and two pumpkins. The next couple days things should start leaping out of the ground.

You can only do one garden there per year?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:14 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Dave wrote:I got mine planted last Wednesday. Yesterday I had lots of corn up, a few of the beans and two pumpkins. The next couple days things should start leaping out of the ground.

You could do two gardens but they would be in two different locations at the same time. Not much use in that. Some of the organic vegetable growers I know get two crops by using short season crops, starting in a green house, and transplanting. But without some real intense management it is a single crop deal. The last frost in May some time and the soil doesn't warm up enough to plant before them. The first frost in the fall will generally come in late September.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Dave wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

You could do two gardens but they would be in two different locations at the same time. Not much use in that. Some of the organic vegetable growers I know get two crops by using short season crops, starting in a green house, and transplanting. But without some real intense management it is a single crop deal. The last frost in May some time and the soil doesn't warm up enough to plant before them. The first frost in the fall will generally come in late September.

oh ok gotcha.. it would be nice to have a green house and have fresh veggies all year round of course the only veggies id want all year round would be tomatoes and corn for the most part and maybe white potatoes.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 pm

I think I missed one and it stayed on the vine too long

0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Cross-7 wrote:I think I missed one and it stayed on the vine too long

Zucchini on steroids.... :lol: I found a couple like that too. I try to pick as the flower is closing.....nice and tender, no seed and swweeeet. I picked every day or 36 hours for more than a month. Had a few rainy and wet days I couldn't get into the garden that produced some whoppers. My plants usually start dying about the time they start producing. For some reason that didn't happen this year. I lost one hill after they come up. I quit picking last week.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:57 pm

I've got squash bugs killing my my plants but I have lots of ladybugs and bees so I don't won't to 7 dust them
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:20 pm

We have lots of maters. Dug 5 gallons of taters and got a lot more to dig. Also been eating on cabbages and broccolli for a week now. I planted some more squash here at the house but have a plenty coming in on the garden at moms. We will start cutting okra next week and maybe some beans. Pintos and butter beans. The purple hulls aren't doing anything except taking up space.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:22 pm

slick4591 wrote:She hangs shade cloth over the tomatoes.

I have never shaded them before. Do you do it all the time or when they are young or what
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:13 pm

She keeps it on them from 1st fruit all the way thru. She raises the cloth in the morning so that it will let the east sun shine on the plant but still shades it from the west.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:47 pm

I agree with that. Best tomatoes I ever had got full morning sun, and in full shade by 5.
0 x
"Reading is easy, doing is hard." - HDRider

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:42 pm

How is yalls doing?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:48 pm

I freeze my tomatoes. This year i'm cutting in chunks due to bad spots and roasting for like 5 hours. I let them cool and pick out as many skins as i can....then i mash and freeze in about 1/2 cup portions. I put that in a ziplock freezer bag, mash flat so it takes up very little room. I add this to dishes, or i add italian seasonings for spaghetti, pizza, or add to stew. You can even make roasted salsa...I use one, or more depending on how much i need. I use a lot of it for pizza so half a cup is all i need..2 packs are perfect for 2 servings of spaghetti...If i put it in pint jars, thats too much for either and i have some left. This way it stretches it out far...I made enough last year to last us 2 years. So i didnt even have to grow tomatoes this year, but did out of habit.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Craig Miller wrote:Image

How is yalls doing?

Its not :(
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:03 pm

We have green tomatoes -- nothing ripe yet. Green beans hate my touch; doesn't matter if they are bush or pole, they hate me.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

Return to “Gardening”