Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Garden 2016

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Yeah, I so want to hook on to the old Dearborn double bottom and turn some dirt, but I don't want to have to plant but one time this year.

That potato thing sounds interesting... I'll have to look for the video.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:37 pm

I cut drain holes with a wood bit ( in the bottom also)

Then put in compost and soil, planted potatoes and covered.
I don't know if it'll work but it looked good

Last edited by Cross-7 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:42 pm

There were lots of different vids on potatoes--and carrots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2637Ga0YUgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWOaJZGYulI
I gonna try both.

This girl, is a magical gardener---she planted little finger carrots and grew big melons!! :cowboy: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv843PW-8Us
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Make sure to get some vermiculite to mix with your soil. Biggest problem with container taters is compaction. You want soil to be very loose. It will require a little more watering but it works well.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Wife and I planted corn and a few green beans Saturday. I set out some tomatoes and peppers this morning.

Gb. Thought we were supposed to have a chance for rain.....I see it is gone.....again.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:28 pm

The wife wanted to do that tater thing only she was set on using 2x6's. Brought me instructions on how to build a 24" x 21" box. I got to reading about growing them that way and it said to never use a black container because when the soil temp reach 70(?) the plant would stop producing and the potatoes already growing would stop. Built it yesterday and she planted some. Guess we'll see.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am

I like those tub ideas.. I cant plow anything now but mud got more rain last night. Its getting close to time for me to put the cabbages and taters in
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:00 am

I got one plowed up at papaws last week and one plowed up at moms Monday. Not sure what I'll plant in them yet.
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Yesterday was a gorgeous day here, and I got most of the raised beds cleaned out from last year's garden. Last night, an inch of rain. But finished the cleaning out today. I bought a small greenhouse over the winter -- one of those fiberglass, barn-shaped ones with door, window, 2 vents. That needs to come out of the barn it went into, to keep it from blowing away over the winter, and get it set up. It's probably more of an extravigance than I really need, for what I do, but thinking it might be a nice spot in the winter for a little table and 2 chairs, with some green stuff still in there, to enjoy a glass of wine and some cheese when the weather is dismal. I put in a cattle-panel squash arch last year, with so-so results -- squash really doesn't like to climb, and we don't use much of it. I think I'll use it for pole beans this year. We don't do a huge garden, but everything is in raised beds and behind a deer fence. Last year, son's GF put in a bunch of stuff that they never really used, but we took care of. This year, lotsa pots of herbs + strawberries, toms of a few varieties, pole beans on the arch, peppers, spinach, and I might try some spuds again in the raised beds.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 pm

My garden is in. Turned, disked, tilled rowed and planted. Of course, it is supposed to come a hec of a deluge for the next 48 hrs so it'll probably wash away. btdt
I got my taters to plant but ran out of good composted soil mixture to plant them in the tubs. I might have to go buy a few sacks of it..
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:19 am

Would post some pictures but getting a bit lazy.....

Over the weekend, my taters are coming up, as is corn and beans. I set out some tomatoes and peppers Saturday.....why not with everyone declaring winter over. :lol:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:58 am

My wife just sent me a picture of our potatoes. Looks like they came up over the weekend. Onion and garlic are starting to come up too..
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:40 am

1982vett wrote:Would post some pictures but getting a bit lazy.....

Over the weekend, my taters are coming up, as is corn and beans. I set out some tomatoes and peppers Saturday.....why not with everyone declaring winter over. :lol:

At 4am today, it was 72 degrees here and light misting rain. I've held off on planting tomatoes and peppers because I knew we were supposed to get very heavy rain and high winds and I didn't want the young plants bent over and broken. So far this week, we've received neither. I have not looked at my gage, but will be surprised if we have received as much as 1" total from this frontal system. Yesterday and last night, all the heavy stuff was sliding northward, just off to our East.This morning's radar shows it mostly sliding Northward just off to the west of me. Not complaining tho--it could still get hairy in the next few hours.
Last part of next week is forecast to be more of the same, with 3 days of clear warm weather between this kind of stuff.

How many potato slips should I plant in each lick tub?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:27 pm

greybeard wrote:How many potato slips should I plant in each lick tub?

I am going to try to plow and disc and lay rows this weekend and plant next. GB I didn't know you raised sweet potatoes.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:03 pm

Don't know GB. We put a couple plants in some of the larger terricata pots on our front porch. More so for a cascade of greenery over the side of the pot. They never really seemed to do much but I was refreshing the pots last week and hit a pretty good size tuber under two of them. I left them in in case they want to sprout deep growing.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”