Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:40 pm

got a chance to start working the garden up

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:51 pm

greybeard wrote:
1982vett wrote:Would post some pictures but getting a bit lazy.....

Over the weekend, my taters are coming up, as is corn and beans. I set out some tomatoes and peppers Saturday.....why not with everyone declaring winter over. :lol:

At 4am today, it was 72 degrees here and light misting rain. I've held off on planting tomatoes and peppers because I knew we were supposed to get very heavy rain and high winds and I didn't want the young plants bent over and broken. So far this week, we've received neither. I have not looked at my gage, but will be surprised if we have received as much as 1" total from this frontal system. Yesterday and last night, all the heavy stuff was sliding northward, just off to our East.This morning's radar shows it mostly sliding Northward just off to the west of me. Not complaining tho--it could still get hairy in the next few hours.
Last part of next week is forecast to be more of the same, with 3 days of clear warm weather between this kind of stuff.

How many potato slips should I plant in each lick tub?

I planted 5 or 6 but they must have sprout from more than one tater cause I have lots more plants than I planted
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:27 am

With all the veggies we have put up I don't know why but I've planted most of my garden this week.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:49 pm

glad I didn't plant because we are getting snow sunday
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:59 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:glad I didn't plant because we are getting snow sunday

GOOD that will give you time to straighten out them crooked rows.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
greybeard wrote:
1982vett wrote:Would post some pictures but getting a bit lazy.....

Over the weekend, my taters are coming up, as is corn and beans. I set out some tomatoes and peppers Saturday.....why not with everyone declaring winter over. :lol:

At 4am today, it was 72 degrees here and light misting rain. I've held off on planting tomatoes and peppers because I knew we were supposed to get very heavy rain and high winds and I didn't want the young plants bent over and broken. So far this week, we've received neither. I have not looked at my gage, but will be surprised if we have received as much as 1" total from this frontal system. Yesterday and last night, all the heavy stuff was sliding northward, just off to our East.This morning's radar shows it mostly sliding Northward just off to the west of me. Not complaining tho--it could still get hairy in the next few hours.
Last part of next week is forecast to be more of the same, with 3 days of clear warm weather between this kind of stuff.

How many potato slips should I plant in each lick tub?

I planted 5 or 6 but they must have sprout from more than one tater cause I have lots more plants than I planted

The vines were tall enough I was able to add some more soil
I also dug a deeper trench and planted some taters in it
As they come up I add more soil on top like they said to do in the container to see if the results are similar

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:17 pm

M-5 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:glad I didn't plant because we are getting snow sunday

GOOD that will give you time to straighten out them crooked rows.

Oh those aren't the rows I had a bunch of turnips left over and just used the cub with cultivators and went down trough the garden for something to do since I hadn't used it since last year.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 pm

We planted another row of corn, two rows of purple hulls, a row of zipper creams, some squash, cucumbers and cantaloupe this morning.......
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:39 pm

1982vett wrote:We planted another row of corn, two rows of purple hulls, a row of zipper creams, some squash, cucumbers and cantaloupe this morning.......

The wife said the signs were right so we planted tomatoes and peppers today. Folks that had already planted to the west of us had hail this morning and lots of their gardens were wiped out.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Bought some bell peppers today but didn't get them out. Tomatoes have been in about 10 days.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 pm

I envy yall down south
They are predicting a freeze Saturday night here
We always get an Easter freeze so not sure this will be the last one
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:31 pm

I may have messed up on my tater tubs. I have really tight clay soil here so I did 3 of them with bagged Scotts compost and manure mix from the garden section and didn't read the directions on the back of the bag. Says "Mix with equal parts soil--Do NOT plant seeds or other produce directly into unmixed compost/manure from this bag."
I also filled a 5 gal bucket and planted carrot seeds about 1/2" deep just to see if I could have some grow.

Might be too 'hot' of a mix, but it sure looked like good stuff. Smelled kinda funky tho...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:22 am

GB, you might have better luck planting carrots in the fall and let them grow through the winter. I planted some last September and they're good eating size now and have been for several weeks. Might work in the summer too, never tried it myself. Last year I filled a 15 gallon pot with "0.5-0.5-0.5 Black Cow" compost and planted a tomato in it to see what would happen. After two or three weeks it became apparent that the plant was nutrient starved so I added in some 10-10-10 and fixed that problem.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:19 pm

We had a frost last night and the forecast said we would not. Scraped ice off my windshield for only 2nd time this winter. Tomato plants and some of the squash look pretty bad today. :(
Carrots are barely up in the container--dunno if they were hurt or not.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:25 am

Frost is forecast for here this morning so maybe the forecast will be wrong but I'm thinking it'll be right. Either way, frost does not hurt carrots.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Return to “Gardening”