Garden 2016

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Garden 2016

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:44 pm

We had frost since Friday I would put my taters in the ground but gardens still muddy
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

pappy6
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby pappy6 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:39 pm

for those of you that said deer would destroy your garden...always heard that if you could get human hair from a barber or beauty shop and spread around the garden that deer would not bother the plants...haven't had the need as my dogs keep deer from the house/garden.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:17 pm

My onions ain't doing squat. Potatoes are up pretty good but some of them took a beating a couple days ago with the frost. Garlic, cabbage, and broccoli are looking fine.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 am

Got taters cabbage and peas in the ground.

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:34 pm

Well you got'em all over the ground anyway.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Your dirt is worked up nicely... love the smell of dirt...
My onions were crap last year. Got some sort of disease. Luckily i had a years worth stored in the freezer. So i've yet to buy an onion the past 2 years. Onions this year are doing great....My potatoes also did terrible last year, didnt get a single jar canned of potatoes. The ones i have now are doing good...so, fingers crossed on them.
We had a freeze a few days ago and i was too lazy to cover my tomato and pepper plants....total loss...erk...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:44 pm

TexasBred wrote:Well you got'em all over the ground anyway.

:lol2:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:46 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:Your dirt is worked up nicely... love the smell of dirt...
My onions were crap last year. Got some sort of disease. Luckily i had a years worth stored in the freezer. So i've yet to buy an onion the past 2 years. Onions this year are doing great....My potatoes also did terrible last year, didnt get a single jar canned of potatoes. The ones i have now are doing good...so, fingers crossed on them.
We had a freeze a few days ago and i was too lazy to cover my tomato and pepper plants....total loss...erk...

Thanks I do love that smell too... I cant grow a good onion to save myself.. My grandpa would take horse crap chop it up fine and plant onions in dirt mixed with the dried horse poo and those things were like grapefruits and were strong you couldn't stand to cut one hardly. I wont plant tomatos and peppers till mid to end of april but will plant corn next week may go with the honey select again.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Anyone ever tried this guy's method of growing large onions?

0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Never tried it but looks good and like a lot of work lol
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:01 pm

My garden is starting to look like a garden finally. Don't know why, but I had a lot of 'holidays' in my pea and corn rows--blank spaces where noting came up, but I replanted those areas and the new leaves starting to poke thru the soil. Squash looks good, and I planted another dozen tomato plants to augment the other doz that got frost damaged. I hope they all produce--ya just can't have too many tomato and crookneck squash. We've had adequate rain, but not the deluges that washed out 2 of my gardens last year.

My tub planted potatoes are just beginning to grow--too many nights in the mid 40s and 50s aren't helping.

I really need to bring in about 2 dumptruck loads each of topsoil and cow shyt to raise my garden up--running over it with a tractor for the last 4 years has got it sunk down too much--hard to keep standing water off that clay soil. (I say that every year and haven't done it yet)

Anyone ever apply powdered dolomite lime in the rows at planting to try to raise pH?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:08 pm

greybeard wrote:Anyone ever apply powdered dolomite lime in the rows at planting to try to raise pH?

Yes, I have. Mainly for tomatoes which are more pH sensitive than most things grown in the garden. And watermelons. Basically anything that is prone to blossom end rot.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:12 am

The deer around here used to not eat azaleas. However, over the past few years they have learned to like them. They eat the flower buds after they swell up in the spring but before the blossoms open. This is what azaleas look like after having been pruned by deer -

For those not familiar with azaleas, the blossoms should be covering the entire plant from top to bottom. Deer have clipped off everything from about waist high down to the ground in the above pic.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:33 am

As big as I've seen pics of those Ga deer, I'm surprised they didn't eat every bud. Azaleas and pines--both love that acidic soil.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:57 am

GB, I agree it's puzzling why the deer graze the azaleas up to a height of only 4 ft or so. My only guess is it's just the young, smaller deer that like them.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”