Thoughts on crops for profit

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Re: Thoughts on crops for profit

Postby Kingfisher » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:02 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I know some folks who do pretty well with small plots of marijuana. Now that it's half legal the bottom line probably ain't what it used to be.

"Half legal?"
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Kingfisher wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I know some folks who do pretty well with small plots of marijuana. Now that it's half legal the bottom line probably ain't what it used to be.

"Half legal?"

Just meaning half the states say it's legal. Half say it ain't. Not exactly, I was being facisous.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

dave_shelby
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby dave_shelby » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:48 pm

I have thought about this too with declining cattle prices.

Where are you all selling?

I like okra, my old place used to have some of that grayland mulatto soil that okra loves. My wife selects some of the garden crops she wants to grow based on price at the supermarket. Okra is one of the best things to grow in that respect.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:49 pm

I gotta say it again, sweet corn is the way to go. You can stand up straight to pick it. Good chemicals to use on it.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:26 am

Guy down the road from me raises 8 rows of okra and sells it at his doorstep. He's been doing it for many years now and he sells every thing he grows and even has a waiting list of people who want to buy from him. Don't know what he's making but he's doing alright for very little trouble. Funny thing is I grow it and give it away but I can't give it away fast enough to keep it from going to seed but you have to pick it yourself.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

iowahawkeyes
GURU
GURU

Postby iowahawkeyes » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:33 am

Do you have a good place to sell it? That makes a huge difference on what you can market.
I live on a busy highway out in the country and couldn't ask for a better location. I grow a few acres of fall produce.
I have an honor box, in the off chance I'm not home. People are pretty honest here.
0 x
I think it's finally summer

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:44 am

I grow few acres of hard squash and sweet corn every year and so it's pretty easy to do on field scale you can use the cultivator cultivating a planter to plant I tried tomatoes and had a lot of disease problems. Green beans can be pretty easy to grow on same scale. I found with a lot of the other garden crops you really had to know what you were doing in order to get a good crop I had mostly failures otherwise and saw no profit. Got beery bushes and fruit and nut trees going now well see
0 x

Return to “Gardening”