deer

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
SJB
Rancher
Rancher

deer

Postby SJB » Fri May 20, 2016 4:01 pm

how many of ya'll have deer problems in your garden? my first thought is electric fence. for anybody that has been successful, would you mind to share your "deer fence" specs?

i'll probably have smaller varmints too before it's over. i'll be planting this same size garden in this same spot for (hopefully) many years to come, so i was actually thinking about a chicken wire fence with a hot wire on top.
0 x
"Reading is easy, doing is hard." - HDRider

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Re: deer

Postby msplmtneer » Sat May 21, 2016 8:02 am

A decent dog that can run loose in the garden works good :tiphat:
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Sat May 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Dog or 8' tall woven fence.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat May 21, 2016 12:22 pm

I have moved my garden to another farm after losing the battle on the other place. It was nothing to see 20 deer in the fields at night but I was able to have a garden there for about eight years till I go lazy and didn't follow the guidance I was given which I will share.

What I was told to do is harrow the garden spot and as soon as it was harrowed put up a hotwire about 30" off the ground. What I was told is the deer will get zapped getting in and out of the garden spot and since there is no food in the garden they learn its not worth the trouble. After about two weeks, plant your garden and when you are finished harvesting take the wire completely down and let the deer have what's left then repeat the next year. I know this sounds crazy but it worked for me for many years till I got lazy and didn't take the fence down and remove it. I just lowered it thinking this would work. It didn't. I then went adding more hotwires to the existing only to throw in the towel after I had six wires while my neighbor who told me how to do this continues to this day growing a deer free garden only a few hundred yards from where I was.

Now my garden is on another farm and I have hog wire around this. Its worked fine for some years now and its nothing to see 8-12 deer in the field around the garden at night. Unfortunately last year I ended up with a jumper who was he77bent on getting in my garden. I figured I could tolerate the one only this year I found myself with two two jumpers and I can assure you two deer can wreak havoc in your garden in one night. They destroyed 70% of my beans in two nights. Since I believe there are doe days and be proud its a doe day I now only have one jumper and and old fella suggested I take some t-posts and tie aluminum pie plates to them with about two foot of string. The least breeze will make these move and they also clatter. Apparently the deer don't like this movement or the clatter and the garden has been deer free ever since. (knock on wood)

Hope this helps. I know the hotwire idea sounds crazy but it worked well for me but I think I'd go with the pie plates first before going to the trouble of putting up a wire because this seems to work surprisingly well so much so we are even using it on a larger scale in cotton fields. Deer in a newly sprouted cotton field will put you in the poor house.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat May 21, 2016 12:25 pm

Another thing I was told to do was stretch some 100 lb test fishing line around the garden and this freaks the deer out when they run into it. I think adding pie plates to this would work wonders too.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 pm

I was just reading some stuff from some deer plot guys where they say to put 2 fences 2 or 3' apart. 2 hot wires on the inside fence and 1 hot strand of poly on the outside. Deer apparently don't see 3D, so the staggered fence creates an optical illusion to them.

I'm going to do that, plus some pans and strips of Mylar and old tshirts. Garden is right beside the barn and I've already got a charger sitting there doing nothing so all I'll need is some posts, wire and poly.

What your guy said about letting them in there before anything was up or planted makes sense to me.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat May 21, 2016 3:07 pm

msplmtneer wrote:A decent dog that can run loose in the garden works good :tiphat:

I've got a dog that will keep the varmints run out of the garden. Problem is he feels the need to harvest the crop and bring it to the back door step, after knawing it the entire time. Especially cucumbers, squash, peppers, and tomatoes. He leaves the other stuff alone :lol2:

Best deer fence I've ever seen was 8' high chain link with double gates to get the tractor through. I'm sure some deer can jump this but I haven't seen one jump this particular fence. Also nice to mount the sprinklers on top of the fence. Keeps them out of the way. However, I realize this can get expensive.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat May 21, 2016 8:25 pm

The pans seem to work surprisingly well. Its best to put a swivel on the string to keep it from twisting up. I don't know why but mine only want to spin in one direction and after a while it twists the string so tight it cuts through the pie pan and I have to fix it. I haven't added swivels yet but I plan to in the future.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon May 23, 2016 7:31 am

SJB wrote:I was just reading some stuff from some deer plot guys where they say to put 2 fences 2 or 3' apart. 2 hot wires on the inside fence and 1 hot strand of poly on the outside. Deer apparently don't see 3D, so the staggered fence creates an optical illusion to them.

It works very well. Don't discount the damage that rabits will do, though. They ate every single brassica I planted last year, and then went to work on every plant they found edible. They even ate my ripe tomatos. Never did find a way to keep them out.
0 x

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Mon May 23, 2016 12:55 pm

i read a couple folks that said they added hotwires close to the ground, like 1 at 4" and another at 8". seems like they'd get shorted out real easy if your grass wasn't kept real short. seems like it would work in theory though? wire is cheap if it would.

i almost feel like Carl the Groundskeeper in Caddyshack. It's me against the Gopher...
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon May 23, 2016 1:40 pm

SJB wrote:i read a couple folks that said they added hotwires close to the ground, like 1 at 4" and another at 8". seems like they'd get shorted out real easy if your grass wasn't kept real short. seems like it would work in theory though? wire is cheap if it would.

i almost feel like Carl the Groundskeeper in Caddyshack. It's me against the Gopher...

I tried two hotwires last year, and actually watched a rabbit go right under them. My ground isn't level, so every rain creates little channels under the fence. There was no more than 4" under the obttom wire, and they went right through it. I've almost lost hope.
0 x

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Mon May 23, 2016 7:54 pm

Yeah, I watch them come through regular chain link all the time.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon May 23, 2016 8:06 pm

SJB wrote:Yeah, I watch them come through regular chain link all the time.

You must have some mini rabbits? :lol2: Ours can't fit through chain link. If they could I'd give up too :bang:
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 pm

The problem is your supposed to be shooting them and not watching them.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm

They are apparently mostly hair. They can squeeze through some small gaps that's for sure.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”