Burnout

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Burnout

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:35 pm

I think my wife has had about enough gardening for the year. Our agreement is that I can grow whatever I want as long as I stay out of her kitchen and let her do the preserving. When the first squash came on she was quite jubilant. The first set of green beans has all been canned. Squash was getting pickled and frozen on a regular basis. We thanked God over our first few ears of sweet corn and rejoiced at the lifetime supply of pickles and sauerkraut and she canned what corn she felt we couldn't use in the near future.
Then somewhere along the way the neighbors started thanking me for the squash and bell peppers. My banker told me my wife really knows how to make pickles. My neighbor said he owes me a bale of hay for the okra.
This morning I came walking in with a big basket full of squash and got met with a few cuss words and a suggestion that I save money by waiting for rain instead of watering.
I think I might need to give some of it away myself for a while and let her rest up before the fall garden gets cranking.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Re: Burnout

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:37 pm

That's funny :D
My neighbors see me coming with a bag and they run inside and act like they're not home.

How do you freeze squash ?
I mean other than stick it in the freezer.
Do you have to cut it up or wrap it or anything special ?
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:00 pm

Cross-7 wrote:That's funny :D
My neighbors see me coming with a bag and they run inside and act like they're not home.

I'm not real sure but she keeps talking about some gal named Blanch that I haven't met yet. :???:
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:29 pm

I chopped and put into bags in serving sizes for however many i feed, which now is 2. I dont blanch and have not been able to tell the difference. Either way, its not coming out crisp like its fresh and once cooked, its all the same. I always lean to the easy way. When i grow it, didnt this year, i do squash drive bys..
I got burned out last year. I had so many tomatoes, i have at least another years worth in the freezer leftover. My garden this year is sparse. I do have tomatoes, but havent encouraged them to produce a lot. Onions are chopped and in freezer, but it was a bad year for onions, but luckily last year i had a good crop. So i have several bags left from last year. I canned all my potatoes. I know last year i was so glad to have my box window cleared of produce. I had tomatoes stacked last year forever on it.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 am

cow pollinater wrote:I think my wife has had about enough gardening for the year. Our agreement is that I can grow whatever I want as long as I stay out of her kitchen and let her do the preserving. When the first squash came on she was quite jubilant. The first set of green beans has all been canned. Squash was getting pickled and frozen on a regular basis. We thanked God over our first few ears of sweet corn and rejoiced at the lifetime supply of pickles and sauerkraut and she canned what corn she felt we couldn't use in the near future.
Then somewhere along the way the neighbors started thanking me for the squash and bell peppers. My banker told me my wife really knows how to make pickles. My neighbor said he owes me a bale of hay for the okra.
This morning I came walking in with a big basket full of squash and got met with a few cuss words and a suggestion that I save money by waiting for rain instead of watering.
I think I might need to give some of it away myself for a while and let her rest up before the fall garden gets cranking.

We won't have that problem here this year :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Cross-7 wrote:That's funny :D

Frozen squash is gross IMO it just doesn't taste the same after being froze
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Gardening”