Anybody else like beet roots?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
nimblebowls
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Anybody else like beet roots?

Postby nimblebowls » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I eat beet root because of it's numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow and lower blood pressure. it is also rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer and fight inflammation.
1 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:36 pm

nimblebowls wrote:I eat beet root because of it's numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow and lower blood pressure. it is also rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer and fight inflammation.
I ate bout a pint today. It seems the more you eat the better they are. Next year I am putting out a lot more, instead of 28 quarts maybe make 50 quarts.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

We like them pickled.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:20 pm

nimblebowls wrote:I eat beet root because of it's numerous health benefits, including improved blood flow and lower blood pressure. it is also rich in antioxidants that help prevent cancer and fight inflammation.

You REALLY need to rethink that username :shock:
1 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Started on another crop of beets. About six hours work and had 27 quarts sealed. A lot of work, but much better tasting than store bought. It was to hot to do anything outside today so got these done. The wife was off work, but had other things to do, so not much help there. I ran them through the canner/cooker on 5 lbs., so they would seal good and the juice would be cooked in good.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:10 am

Like them the same as I do those nasty brussels sprouts. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
(brussels sprouts do pretty good in a pvc gun tho..just the right size, pretty uniform diameter, and soft enough to seal off as they go flying down the barrel)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:05 am

jltrent wrote:Started on another crop of beets. About six hours work and had 27 quarts sealed. A lot of work, but much better tasting than store bought. It was to hot to do anything outside today so got these done. The wife was off work, but had other things to do, so not much help there. I ran them through the canner/cooker on 5 lbs., so they would seal good and the juice would be cooked in good.

I admire your industrious nature but with all that food you are canning and preserving for the year do you feel any guilt in depriving DotGov of you tax dollars by not buying your food at Wallyworld?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 am

I like beets, eggs and onions all pickled together, there really good for making a little noise. Eating foods because their healthy for you will cause you to miss out on some really good eating.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:... Eating foods because their healthy for you will cause you to miss out on some really good eating.

Yup!
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 am

It boils down to what you buy in a can at the store after eating home grown, is at least to me, not nearly as good and border line terrible. I have two cans of sliced beets in a tin can that is getting tossed as they are terrible. I do cut the sugar back on the beets I make, but with soup beans and corn bread nothing better.

I probably could buy what I grow for close the same, especially figuring the hours in because putting a garden out is not cheap as from looking at Jogeephus garden post his is not cheap either. Some years I know I don't come out.

I do believe those beets are not bad for you as seems like when I do eat them energy level dose go up. The ones I make bout melt in your mouth, red all the way through and the syrup pressured in, they don't compare to tin can store bought. I have more out if they make it.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-ben ... beets.html

The most powerful health benefits of beets include its ability to lower blood pressure, prevent cancer, cleanse the liver, treat anemia, increase stamina, and boost libido. They also prevent macular degeneration, improve blood circulation, aid in skin care, prevent cataract, build immunity, and treat respiratory problems. These benefits of beetroots can be attributed to their richness in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
0 x

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 am

We salt em and put a lil olive oil on them and put em on the grill in foil when grilling steaks
1 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 pm

I LOVE BEETS.... the best way to eat them is as soon as they are boiled (before any seasoning) peal it and eat it like a potato.
1 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

dwayson
Beginner
Beginner

Postby dwayson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:44 am

They look yummy though I don't like them.
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm

My Mom would hard boil eggs and put them in the pickled beet juice after we'd eaten the beets. I have my Grandmother's recipe. Love 'em. My chiropractor is a big advocate of them. Says they decrease joint inflammation/arthritis.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”