Grafting

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Grafting

Postby callmefence » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am

My only damage from hurricane Harvey was our amazing plum tree.
Planted by red it's provided buckets of plums four generations.
The wind broke it over about a foot off the ground . It's still attached partially to the stump . Yesterday I noticed new growth. Some up on the limbs and some new shoots from the trunk. Oddly
Their flowering like spring. I'm wanting to attempt to graft this tree on to some store bought root stock. Anyone have any experience with this.?
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Grafting

Postby 1982vett » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 am

storebought is usually budded pretty low to the ground isn’t it. Might you be able find some wild plum on some of your fencing jobs to pilfer?
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am

It is probably a goner and the growth is from stored food in the tree, but you never know. How many mesquite trees have you seen split and continue to grow even with all the exposed raw wood.
Pull it back up straight and stake it off. Prune it back some. If the cambium layer is still mostly intact, it might recover. If not, nothing is lost by trying.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am

1982vett wrote:storebought is usually budded pretty low to the ground isn’t it. Might you be able find some wild plum on some of your fencing jobs to pilfer?

Not a bad idea.
I've got wild plum on the property but all large mature trees and in the brush.
I could graft the shoots on the wild plum??
But is there way to get it back into my orchard. ??

bird dog wrote:It is probably a goner and the growth is from stored food in the tree, but you never know. How many mesquite trees have you seen split and continue to grow even with all the exposed raw wood.

Pull it back up straight and stake it off. Prune it back some. If the cambium layer is still mostly intact, it might recover. If not, nothing is lost by trying.

We were already fighting bores. Which is I suspect the real reason the tree gave. With a little push from Harvey.
I don't think the main trunk can be saved. But maybe nurture a upshoot from the main trunk. ??
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Biggest problem I see is not knowing if broke at a graft.... anything below will be something else. Won’t know till it fruits up. Wrong time of year to be grafting also but it might be a last ditch effort to save what you have. If it’s blooming now it’s definitly shifted to survival mode.

I think grafting on the wild plum where it is now would be the thing to do then bring some back to your orchard at a later date. Hard to say, I imagine trees in your area aren’t far from dormancy on top of it. Your store bought stock idea may be a good plan especially if you can provide it with greenhouse nursery conditions.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 pm

vett,
Your best bet at this time is probably to try 'parking some buds' on any plum you can find.
Bark or cleft grafting... you could try, but this late in the season, I wouldn't be surprised by total failure - but... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Google up a youtube video on T-budding. It's easy to do. You can place the buds now and hopefully they'll callus in...and you can force them next spring by pruning the rootstock off just above them.
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 pm

I'd duck tape it and plant a fresh red tree close by.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

ranchersswiss
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ranchersswiss » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:39 am

Thank you Lucky_P for your video reference. Big help with my plant problem too. :)
0 x

Return to “Gardening”