Rhubarb

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Rhubarb

Postby Ky hills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am

Been watching our few rhubarb for a few weeks one has had some green breaking through the ground and now has some small leaves starting, and this morning another has a little green leaf coming through. I start anticipating spring and watching for signs of it early, keeps me hopeful as I absolutely hate winter.
2 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Rhubarb

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:32 pm

We are quite a ways away from that point here, though it did hit +37 degrees today. No lie, people up here get out their t-shirts (some even shorts) when we get a break like this. Back to reality by Friday they are saying though... We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:We are quite a ways away from that point here, though it did hit +37 degrees today. No lie, people up here get out their t-shirts (some even shorts) when we get a break like this. Back to reality by Friday they are saying though... We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

Good idea about the tire containers, I have to admit I have taken out some rhubarb with Roundup too :hide: :lol2:
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:06 am

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

I would think that a tire could get too hot?

Did you fill a big tire with dirt, or just drop a car tire over it for protection, or ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

Did you fill a big tire with dirt, or just drop a car tire over it for protection, or ?

Steve, we actually use tractor tires for all our veggie gardens. They are simply laid on side, with face up sidewall cut out. Ours are filled nearly to the top with black dirt from our barn/lots. For the top 6 inches or so we use a potting soil, since the ground is clay here, even the "black dirt" from the barn and lots gets wayyyy to heavy for veggies. We actually use the empty protein tubs in the middle of the tire beds to create a terrace effect too. The really nice part is not having to hoe a garden or bust out the tiller. A person can just give them a quick once over with a hand tiller and pick weeds easily. They actually don't look nearly as red-neck as they sound!
We haven't had issues with them getting to hot, but they do seem to dry out easily. Having to water more frequently is the trade off for having good soil to plant in, in this case. Where we are, there is just no point in trying to grow veggies in a traditional garden. The soil is just too heavy, even after several attempts to improve it.
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:

Steve, we actually use big tractor tires for all our veggie gardens. They are simply laid on side, with face up sidewall cut out. Ours are filled nearly to the top with black dirt from our barn/lots. For the top 6 inches or so we use a potting soil, since the ground is clay here, even the "black dirt" from the barn and lots gets wayyyy to heavy for veggies. We actually use the empty protein tubs in the middle of the tire beds to create a terrace effect too. The really nice part is not having to hoe a garden or bust out the tiller. A person can just give them a quick once over with a hand tiller and pick weeds easily. They actually don't look nearly as red-neck as they sound!
We haven't had issues with them getting to hot, but they do seem to dry out easily. Having to water more frequently is the trade off for having good soil to plant in, in this case. Where we are, there is just no point in trying to grow veggies in a traditional garden. The soil is just too heavy, even after several attempts to improve it.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am

Side wall cut out on top and bottom?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Side wall cut out on top and bottom?

We didn't cut out the bottom sidewall, but I suppose you could. It's just extra work for the sawzall, and I'm not sure it would make any difference...
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm

:hide: Think the rain will hurt it? :hide: :lol:
I happen to like pie above all other sweets and desserts, and the best I ever had was a strawberry/rhubarb pie in (of all places) a Denny's Restaurant ..Elk City Okla.
I had a slice, then bought the whole pie and took it back to the motel with me.

I have made a good strawberry/rhubarb cobbler recently (canned ingredients), but it wasn't nearly as good as that pie.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

KMURBAN
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby KMURBAN » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Ky hills wrote:Been watching our few rhubarb for a few weeks one has had some green breaking through the ground and now has some small leaves starting, and this morning another has a little green leaf coming through. I start anticipating spring and watching for signs of it early, keeps me hopeful as I absolutely hate winter.

Good idea, however I have checked mine 5 times today, and still no green leaves ? :bang:
0 x

Return to “Gardening”