Tomato

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Tomato

Postby M-5 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:25 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I pull all the leaves off up to the new ones, then bury them up to the very top. When I grow them in the green house, i'll do this several times before they go into the garden.
The most important tomato greenhouse advice I can give you is "NEVER" let them wilt from thirst or heat. Doing this you'll get blossom end rot on almost every tomato. This is the best reason to never buy transplants. Most times they are set in the sun in those tiny amounts of potting soil..They dry out so fast

cowgirl8 wrote:I sometimes grow mine from seed. This year I could not find celebrity tomato in seeds....Not sure why. I was at Atwoods and they had theirs on sale for 79 cents per plant..But its me buying so I dig around and find a pot with 2 plants. You can separate them and, you got it, you get 2 fer... When I got home I broke them apart and planted in a bigger pot. Once i'm sure there is the least danger of frost, i'll put them in the garden. Since its really windy in the spring, i'll bury mine up to the new growth after pulling all the leaves off below. This keeps the wind from breaking them over and it gets a deeper root system and if there is a frost, its easier to cover. I'm not big on pulling suckers, I've found it really doesn't do much. I plant and let them do what they do.... Instead of planting fall plants(which basically not enough time to get ripe tomatoes) i'll let the cherry tomatoes stay in the garden...The smaller tomatoes will regrow when it cools off and you'll get fall tomatoes that are iffy if they ripen. I make green tomato relish out of mine..

you advised in first quote not to buy transplants , then in second quote you bought transplants . Which one should a person follow if they are seeking advise ??
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Well, you take a chance at the transplants. The ones I got were fresh and I couldn't find the seeds I wanted.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:47 pm

I do not bury them deep I lay them in a trench with just the top leaves sticking out. It will straighten up and grow. If plants are nine inches tall for instance I dig the trench and lay them in it cover about three inches of dirt over the stem. You get more roots in the top of the good garden soil.Years ago I had neighbors growing green house tomatoes. When the vines reached the top they would take them down and lay the stems in a trench. Some in on directions and some in the other some of the vines would be 100 foot or so long from where they first sere planted
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:56 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I sometimes grow mine from seed. This year I could not find celebrity tomato in seeds....Not sure why. I was at Atwoods and they had theirs on sale for 79 cents per plant..But its me buying so I dig around and find a pot with 2 plants. You can separate them and, you got it, you get 2 fer... When I got home I broke them apart and planted in a bigger pot. Once i'm sure there is the least danger of frost, i'll put them in the garden. Since its really windy in the spring, i'll bury mine up to the new growth after pulling all the leaves off below. This keeps the wind from breaking them over and it gets a deeper root system and if there is a frost, its easier to cover. I'm not big on pulling suckers, I've found it really doesn't do much. I plant and let them do what they do.... Instead of planting fall plants(which basically not enough time to get ripe tomatoes) i'll let the cherry tomatoes stay in the garden...The smaller tomatoes will regrow when it cools off and you'll get fall tomatoes that are iffy if they ripen. I make green tomato relish out of mine..

https://www.willhiteseed.com/products.php?cat=77
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:08 pm

hurleyjd wrote:I do not bury them deep I lay them in a trench with just the top leaves sticking out. It will straighten up and grow. If plants are nine inches tall for instance I dig the trench and lay them in it cover about three inches of dirt over the stem. You get more roots in the top of the good garden soil.Years ago I had neighbors growing green house tomatoes. When the vines reached the top they would take them down and lay the stems in a trench. Some in on directions and some in the other some of the vines would be 100 foot or so long from where they first sere planted

That's the way old commercial growers planted theirs according to my mother.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 am

hurleyjd wrote:

https://www.willhiteseed.com/products.php?cat=77

I was planning on ordering, but while at Atwoods, they had just set the plants out of the truck, so I knew that maybe they were never water starved. They were in pots too, buying plants in 6 packs is risky since they dry out so fast.
Planting in a trench is a good idea.. I may do it that way when i get them into the garden..makes sense.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 am

I just plant deep enough to cover the roots and maybe a little more. I've never buried to the leaves. Water immediately. Usually I fill the hole in with water or miracle grow then fill in with dirt. Then water again.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:37 am

Is it ok to plant pepper plants deep also? I am starting some super hot peppers inside right now.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:42 am

ohiosteve wrote:Is it ok to plant pepper plants deep also? I am starting some super hot peppers inside right now.

No...
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 pm

I am having the same problem as wlamar. My peppers I started are doing great but the tomatoes are way too tall and falling over. I'm slowly weaning them from heat took them outside for the first time today since it was 50 and sunny. Is it too early to transplant into a little larger peat pot and bury them deeper? They have a little fuzz on the stem but only the two little leaves on top. Are the two little leaves considered true leaves?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 pm

I would get them in bigger pots. I've never had much luck past this stage in these small things, but I tend to forget to water. ..
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:14 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:I would get them in bigger pots. I've never had much luck past this stage in these small things, but I tend to forget to water. ..

Thanks cowgirl, have you used those peat pods like in my picture? If so do I need to rip that fine netting off when I put them in bigger pots?
0 x

Return to “Gardening”