Tillers

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Tillers

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:13 am

I have had this tiller about 3 or 4 years. It got water into the transmission and locked up. The parts I priced are gonna run me about $150. If you have one try to get some grease Into the trans before it gets like mine. Cub doesn't provide a way to add grease aside from disassembly. Mine was about half dry after only a few seasons. I think I'll look for one with a locked up motor and set my motor on it or just a different one all together. Which ever comes along first.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Re: Tillers

Postby jltrent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 am

Craig Miller wrote:I have had this tiller about 3 or 4 years. It got water into the transmission and locked up. The parts I priced are gonna run me about $150. If you have one try to get some grease Into the trans before it gets like mine. Cub doesn't provide a way to add grease aside from disassembly. Mine was about half dry after only a few seasons. I think I'll look for one with a locked up motor and set my motor on it or just a different one all together. Which ever comes along first.

Drill a hole in the trans toward the top away from everything, tap and put a zerk in. Add grease and/or 90w and they will last. I have done that several times to numerous gear boxes. Usually from the factory they are pretty dry. Also try to store in a shed or put a tarp over when not in use. The smaller zerks will tap 1/4 and you will need to use a smaller drill bit.
Last edited by jltrent on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:58 am

It was stored under the back porch but the rain blew in on it. That's a good solution on the grease.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 am

Craig Miller wrote:It was stored under the back porch but the rain blew in on it. That's a good solution on the grease.
On dust covers that are pretty thin metal on wheels or moving parts on machinery I have drilled holes, added zerks and spot welded with a mig, so they want come back out. An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”