Summer Garden 2018

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Summer Garden 2018

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks. I had some setbacks with some bad seed but for the most part its been a good year but this heat is really taking the wind out of my sails.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm

greybeard wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Some garden goodies. Shame it all comes in at the same time because we can't eat it fast enough and I can't seem to give it away unless I pick it, process it and deliver it.

The wife fusses if I let them grow and bring yellow squash in that big.....seeds are too big she says.
They don't bother me.

Kinda the same way greybeard. I like em small, I pick a lot of zucchini with the flower still open. If I wait a day it would take a week to finish eating one cause the get so big. I don’t like the seeds either.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Ever try pickling the little mini squash like dill pickles?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Never thought of that. They might be tasty too.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 am

Happy pigs and cows today

1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 am

2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:33 am

1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:10 am

Small 5"-6" zukes sliced horizontally make excellent sweet "bread & butter" pickles. Most current canning publications include at least one recipe.
1 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:56 pm

1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 am

1 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:05 am

Jogeephus wrote:Image

Are those chili de arbols? They are the only kind I grow, the perfect amount of heat. Cayenne used to be good but they've bred all the fire out of them.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am

ga.prime wrote:Are those chili de arbols? They are the only kind I grow, the perfect amount of heat. Cayenne used to be good but they've bred all the fire out of them.

I think a lot of the bulk in the basket are but I couldn't swear to it. I have several different varieties but some must have crossed last year and the seed isn't bearing fruit true to flavor. I ate what was supposed to be and looked to be a sweet banana pepper yesterday and it lit me up pretty good. So I'm not really sure what these are to be honest. All are very hot.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Are those chili de arbols? They are the only kind I grow, the perfect amount of heat. Cayenne used to be good but they've bred all the fire out of them.

I think a lot of the bulk in the basket are but I couldn't swear to it. I have several different varieties but some must have crossed last year and the seed isn't bearing fruit true to flavor. I ate what was supposed to be and looked to be a sweet banana pepper yesterday and it lit me up pretty good. So I'm not really sure what these are to be honest. All are very hot.

Those have to be chili de arbols, they look too much like them not to be. Chili de arbols are plenty hot and they have some excellent flavor too. Hot peppers are real good at cross pollinating and I've never gotten a good result from it..lost my favorite hot pepper that way. I had been growing a particular hot pepper for several years and saving the seeds from year to year and then one year I planted some tabasco peppers and they crossed with the ones I liked and had been planting for years and that was the end of that, everything the next year was tabasco, which is not a very good pepper comparatively. So, now I just grow chili de arbols and grow the plants myself. This year I did buy a six pack of Hungarian hot wax peppers late in the spring when I saw they had marked all the plants half off. They're looking pretty good right now except they turned out to be bell peppers.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:13 pm

I think they are arbols. Look and taste like it but the cross pollination thing has me a little unsure.
:lol: I feel your pain. I bought a few bundles of "bell peppers" that came out of the surplus of a truck farmer and they all turned out to be banana peppers. Except 2 of them. 2 out of 75 is pretty poor odds don't you think? Can't bytch though cause the price was right.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I think they are arbols. Look and taste like it but the cross pollination thing has me a little unsure.
:lol: I feel your pain. I bought a few bundles of "bell peppers" that came out of the surplus of a truck farmer and they all turned out to be banana peppers. Except 2 of them. 2 out of 75 is pretty poor odds don't you think? Can't bytch though cause the price was right.

That salesman sure saw you coming Joe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjoJ2QH3Rkw
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Gardening”