Hoeing the garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Hoeing the garden

Postby Jogeephus » Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 am

Just wondered what peoples opinion was on the best way to hoe their garden.

Do you hoe shallow and lightly hoe up the weeds or do you hoe deep or do you use the how to throw up dirt to cover up the weeds like a cultivator does? Just curious.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

willow bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Hoeing the garden

Postby willow bottom » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 am

I use a wheel hoe or a tiller. Only use a hoe if he weed is right next to the plant
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

Jogeephus wrote:Just wondered what peoples opinion was on the best way to hoe their garden.

Do you hoe shallow and lightly hoe up the weeds or do you hoe deep or do you use the how to throw up dirt to cover up the weeds like a cultivator does? Just curious.

Its according to the hoe I am using , One likes it gentle , the other one likes it rough. each one is built for the task at hand.
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 am

I use a stirrup hoe. It barely disturbs the soil and works forwards and backwards. It's like using a whisk broom. Vastly superior to all other hoes for weeding and takes much less effort to use. Also, you can get right up next to the plant with a stirrup hoe and pull the weed (or crabgrass) out without hurting the plant.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am

Jogeephus wrote:Just wondered what peoples opinion was on the best way to hoe their garden.

I like to hoe enough to bring roots up and let it lay out in the sun and dry them up so id say pretty shallow. I only really hoe where the cultivator cant go.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am

Speaking of hoes these ones made today are P.O.S. I like the wooden handled ones but they always break so I took some conduit and welded it to the hoe that hasn't broke yet but will give you a good workout
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:30 am

My hoin' days are over.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm

M-5 wrote:

Its according to the hoe I am using , One likes it gentle , the other one likes it rough. each one is built for the task at hand.

lmao didn't really pay attention to this the first time
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 pm

I like a hoe like this as with the two prongs I can get between the plants better.......

0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Thu May 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Kinda depends if you are on top of things or a week behind.....wink wink....hasn’t been all that wet this year so I’ve been able to get most of it with the garden tractor and tiller. Soil is nice and loose so just a light hoe will move the soil enough to uproot the weeds and grass that’s just come up. If I wait to long the job becomes real work. And after today it’s become apparent I’m not much for real work anymore......
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SPH » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 pm

I collect my lawn clippings and lay them in my garden where the plants are not growing. It keeps the weeds down and it composts throughout the summer. I till my garden in the fall and spring so they just compost over the winter and adds more organic matter to the soil. It sure beats hoeing and pulling weeds when all you have to do is pull weeds where you don't mulch your grass clippings.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:01 pm

M-5 wrote:

If the task is 'at hand' you don't need a hoe........
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Didn’t plant one this year bc if various time constraints but I prefer to plant on plastic like they do watermelons. Plant earlier and very minimal weeds
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Gardening”