Favorite Sweet Corn

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
MoGal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MoGal » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:17 am

Pinetree garden seeds seems to have a lot of the old varieties of about anything.... I think their website is http://www.superseeds.com
0 x

Rustler9
GURU
GURU

Postby Rustler9 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Silver Queen-but I like any kind of sweet corn. Give me some butter, salt and pepper and I'm good to go. Love it on the cob but it's great fried too.
0 x
Roger Townsend
BT Farms
Pulaski, TN

http://www.btfarms.net

Francois
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Francois » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:44 pm

Tender Treat is a favorite in my neck of the woods.
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:09 pm

Whatever breed of corn someone cooks up for me. Especially when it comes with a rare steak, some fresh bread and lots of butter.

Bez!
0 x

WillowFarm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby WillowFarm » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:09 pm

We plant a crop of Sugary Enhanced corn every year. It's the strain between the normal sweet corn and the super sweet corn. Much sweeter than the normal sweet corn and more tender than the super sweet. We love it. I have about 4 ears a night, every night when the crop comes in. :nod:

We have tried a few different varieties and they all pretty much taste about the same. But if we have to pick one or two our favorites are "Ambrosia" and "Delectable". Both are bi-color. "Delectable" can be found on http://www.johnnyseeds.com and the "Ambrosia" can be found on http://www.parkseeds.com.
0 x

MoGal
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MoGal » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:57 am

Anyone try Hybrid Sugar Baby? Its a bicolor, 65 days.

I'm planting some this week, 1/2 lb. Should come off about Sept (1st frost date is Oct 10, so I should be fine)

Based on you all's recommendations, I did plant some peaches and cream and am looking forward to eating some of it in about a month.

The Kandy Corn I'm disappointed in and maybe it was because the seed was 2 years old as it didn't germinate very well. Also I didn't water for about ten days because the forecast kept calling for rain every day and we didn't get any. Never fails when I water the garden from the hose we get some rain.

Ah, but we're enjoying lettuce, spinach, squash, greenbeans, cucumbers, and I can't keep the neighbor out of the beets so I guess I'll never know how big they can get!!

Had two red tomatoes on the vine but lots of green ones coming on hopefully by July 4th we'll be enjoying them.
0 x

pinzgauer1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby pinzgauer1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:30 pm

Silver queen and golden gueen planted togethre in a 2/3 to 1/3 mix.
0 x

skyeagle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby skyeagle » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:26 pm

Fried sweet corn tell me more, never heard such a thing.
bet it's good though.
0 x
Made in the USA

Mo from B-Ham
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Favorite Sweet Corn

Postby Mo from B-Ham » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:02 pm

wildkard wrote:
Crowderfarms wrote:I was curious as to what variety of Sweet Corn Yall like to plant? I still favor Hickory Cane, Silver Queen and Golden Queen and Merit. Of Course I dont plant them all together in the same garden. Anyone like Peaches and Cream?
I would like to find a little hickory cane seed to plant I haven"t had any in years can anybody help me out?

I would like to find Peaches and Cream in the Birmingham market. Should it be pretty common? Say at the Farmers Market?

Thanks in advance!
0 x

Return to “Gardening”