Cattle Panel Trellises

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Cattle Panel Trellises

Postby Crowderfarms » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:16 pm

Any of Yall' ever use cattle panels as Tomato trellises? They work great , and are also good for pole beans,just put them up on a t-post and you'll wish you'd used them years ago.
0 x
Hoss, Please stay!

Just_a_girl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Just_a_girl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Yes....it works great.

Another idea....

I also have 2 large slightly bent panels that I use in my flower garden. One as an abor and one as a trellis.

One panel is attached to 2 rods in the ground on one side, then bowed and attached to 2 rods on the opposite side. It serves as an arbor, I either have Sweet Peas or Morning Glories growing on it during spring and summer. The other panel is placed against a tool shed and has a climbing rose bush on it. Any damages to the panels caused by the animals cannot be seen because of the flowers and vines.

I try to find ways to re-use them, too expensive to just trash. And they are actually less expensive than buying a trellis from one of those home improvement stores.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:30 pm

Now you tell me! :roll: Where were you two summers ago when I was buying tomato cages? :lol: :lol: Excellent idea, I wish I would have thought of that.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:43 pm

chain link fences are great for growing vegetables on too, especially cucumbers.

i saw an old hay ring that was partially buried and had a flowering vine growing on it used as an archway in a garden just a few days ago.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:58 pm

I can see I'm going to have to put on my creative hat and go raid Dad's old equipment pile! :D :D Who knows what I may come up with? ;-)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Scotty
GURU
GURU

Postby Scotty » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:18 pm

msscamp wrote:I can see I'm going to have to put on my creative hat and go raid Dad's old equipment pile! :D :D Who knows what I may come up with? ;-)

Sure enogh girl. Junk and such is the best for tomatoes. Mine did not like the cages from Walmart but the T posts from the 1960's were great.

Scotty
0 x
TSCRA Member
AAA Member

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:42 pm

there no telling what you can find rummaging thru Dad's junk pile. peanut pickers, old cars.. you name it.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

mdmdogs3
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mdmdogs3 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:48 pm

we have been using the wire that they put inside concrete for tomato cages - I don't know what it is called but it has wire going horizontal and vertical (making squares)
the squares are qreat since you can reach in and get the tomatoes... although they do rust so you have to be careful if you still have your office clothes on. :roll:
Image the other trick is to cut off the bottom horizontal wire but leave the extra vertical lengths so you can stick them in the ground - self supporting strong cages 8)
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:07 am

Scotty wrote:
msscamp wrote:I can see I'm going to have to put on my creative hat and go raid Dad's old equipment pile! :D :D Who knows what I may come up with? ;-)

Sure enogh girl. Junk and such is the best for tomatoes. Mine did not like the cages from Walmart but the T posts from the 1960's were great.

Scotty

Now that you mention it, mine weren't to fond of those cages either. T-posts from the 60's is doable! ;-) There is an old grain auger out there, too. I wonder how high sweet peas will grow? :lol: :lol:
0 x

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 am

A cattle panel with tomatoes planted on each side works great. Just keep the tomatoes tied up as they grow up the panel.
0 x

ctlbaron
GURU
GURU

Postby ctlbaron » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:47 am

Yep, thats what we use. I took the old tomato cages and wrapped them in Christmas lights. Makes a little Christmas tree looking thing.
0 x
We have the best politicians money can buy. Will Rogers......I think.

Return to “Gardening”