Soil PH Levels

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Soil PH Levels

Postby Stepper » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Does anyone know if there are soil sample kits to test the ph on gardens ?
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Soil PH Levels

Postby msscamp » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:38 pm

Stepper wrote:Does anyone know if there are soil sample kits to test the ph on gardens ?

Yes, there are. I believe they are available at the bigger nurseries, but I'm not certain about that.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Postby MikeC » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:46 pm

msscamp wrote:
Stepper wrote:Does anyone know if there are soil sample kits to test the ph on gardens ?

Yes, there are. I believe they are available at the bigger nurseries, but I'm not certain about that.

I've got a battery powered electronic probe dojigger that simply sticks in the ground and reads the PH level on a dial. Works pretty dang good!
0 x
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 pm

MikeC wrote:
msscamp wrote:

I've got a battery powered electronic probe dojigger that simply sticks in the ground and reads the PH level on a dial. Works pretty dang good!

I hadn't heard about those dojiggers, MikeC, thanks for the info! :D
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Postby MikeC » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:12 am

msscamp wrote:
MikeC wrote:
msscamp wrote:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ph-meter.html
0 x
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:48 am

MikeC wrote:
msscamp wrote:
MikeC wrote:
msscamp wrote:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/ph-meter.html

Thank you very much! Affordable, too! :D
0 x

Nowland Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby Nowland Farms » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:59 am

ebay has the same meters for around $13 for the buy it now price.
0 x
I want to live life til the day I die....

Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Stepper » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Mike C.

Thanks very much for the information. I will have to get me one of thoes.
0 x

Linda
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Linda » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:52 am

Your local extension agent will also have kits you can send to the state ag college for testing. We've had good input from doing that. I suspect the students run the tests. The first year after we bought this property, we were literally only able to germinate 3 kinds of weed seeds, nothing else. We sent off a test and it came back with a pH of 9.9! Plus, the proposed veg garden area had housed a horse corral and was "nearly toxic" with phosphate or phosphorus - I can never keep those two straight. Anyway, the "P" in NPK. This was from the horse manure. They sent along a handwritten note to not add any kind of manure for several years and then only after another test. We've worked hard for many years to get the pH levels down to where wanted plants will grow. It was a steep learning curve, but we've got a great garden and a nice lawn. I still have to work at it, though. Lots of organic matter helps, and selected extra applications of nitrogen to temp. lower the pH so plants can take up minerals is an ongoing task.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”