Favorite Kind Of Peas

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Favorite Kind Of Peas

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am

that is insane i have never saw any fence like that around a garden. I am surprised they still dont try to jump in there. Maybe we dont have that problem cause there is more deer there or there is alot of other row crops they can eat instead.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 20, 2013 8:35 am

:lol2: I've got two gardens like that. This is the first year for the one pictured. The other one I've grown gardens in for three years and haven't had a deer get in it yet. I've tried every way imaginable to keep deer out of the garden and the 8 ft fence is the only thing that works. You probably don't have as many deer there, skyhigh. The deer used to not be so bad around here when there were less of them and you could keep the deer damage to a minimum with hot wire but that doesn't work anymore. If I only had hot wire around that garden in the pic, it would be completely destroyed by deer in two or three days.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 am

ga.prime I think I have to agree with you on the deer. Do you have to put it up and take that down ever year when you break the garden up? If you do you deserve every vegetable in that garden and then some lol I would just put a garden in front of my dogs kennels if it were that bad here lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 20, 2013 11:50 am

I had a garden 50 feet from a dog pen. Had two pointers and two treeing walkers in it. Deer ignored the dogs. I've actually seen a deer just stand and look at a pointer that was barking right in her face. The first garden I made with an 8 ft fence was smaller than this one and I didn't leave a way to get into it with a tractor. I'd just no till plant it with a push planter after herbicide killing all vegetation. On this new one I have it where I can open both ends completely up and re-close them without too much work. That way I can drive a tractor through it. The first garden was a quarter acre, this one is a half acre. All I have to do to open an end is remove a few staples from the corner post and take up three 10 ft t-posts that are between the corner posts and pull the netting back out of the way. The netting is attached to the t-posts with zip ties.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

wow.. your deer are ruthless.. lol That is a lil work but worth the effort.Where do you buy 10 foot t posts? I havent seen anything over 7 foot before
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm

I got the 10ft t-posts at Agri Supply also known as ASC in Tifton, Ga. They were something like $8.50 each. You might have an ASC there in Va. They're a chain store.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:52 pm

Yea, There is a ASC 15 mins away I have never seen them there it may be a special order there since we dont usually need anything that big lol Please keep those " Gangster " deer within your GA. state lines lol
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 pm

:lol2: That's a good name for them, gangster deer.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:54 pm

ga.prime wrote::lol2: That's a good name for them, gangster deer.

:lol:
0 x

Return to “Gardening”