How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
mermill2
Rancher
Rancher

How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes?

Postby mermill2 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Hi everyone, Does anybody know what you can apply to tomatoes, that repel chickens and guineas???Is there something that you can put on them that has tobasco sauce in it???? Gary
0 x

Tod Dague
GURU
GURU

Re: How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes?

Postby Tod Dague » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:19 pm

mermill2 wrote:Hi everyone, Does anybody know what you can apply to tomatoes, that repel chickens and guineas???Is there something that you can put on them that has tobasco sauce in it???? Gary
Put a dog in there. My chickens aren't allowed in the yard. If they do the penalty is stiff and quick.
0 x

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Postby Hippie Rancher » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:04 pm

chicken wire
0 x

Stepper
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Stepper » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:19 pm

When the chickens get huddle together near the garden. A good automatic 12 gage loaded with some high brass # 6 shot should do the trick. ;-)
0 x

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:50 pm

When I was a single guy I found that chicks preffered a good steak dinner over tomatoes. :lol2:
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

Lammie
GURU
GURU

Postby Lammie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 pm

I have found that if they really want to get in the garden, they will, pretty much whatever you do. I find that looking out there several times a day and shooting at them with the pellet gun seems to keep them at bay. They don't like getting popped. My dogs are afraid of my chickens, especially the heavy breeds I have. They like to chase the banties, though. More their size.

I saw a hen take a pork chop bone away from one of my dogs one evening!
0 x
I never trust anyone who says that they are too old to read a children's book.

Tod Dague
GURU
GURU

Postby Tod Dague » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Lammie wrote:I have found that if they really want to get in the garden, they will, pretty much whatever you do. I find that looking out there several times a day and shooting at them with the pellet gun seems to keep them at bay. They don't like getting popped. My dogs are afraid of my chickens, especially the heavy breeds I have. They like to chase the banties, though. More their size.

What kind of dogs do you have?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:28 pm

Tod Dague wrote:
Lammie wrote:I have found that if they really want to get in the garden, they will, pretty much whatever you do. I find that looking out there several times a day and shooting at them with the pellet gun seems to keep them at bay. They don't like getting popped. My dogs are afraid of my chickens, especially the heavy breeds I have. They like to chase the banties, though. More their size.

Are you sure those are chickens and not buzzards?

dun
0 x

mermill2
Rancher
Rancher

How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes

Postby mermill2 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:09 am

Thanks for all your all's tips, and humor :D The kind of dog we have is a Great Phyrnees. He ony gets after the chickens when they are trying to grab his dog food. I am not too partial to chickens, cause they try to dive bomb me, when I feed the dog. I try to keep a hat on, during this time. Gary likes fresh eggs, I wonder if they are worth the trouble????? :lol: Merry
0 x

Tod Dague
GURU
GURU

Re: How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes

Postby Tod Dague » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:38 pm

mermill2 wrote:Thanks for all your all's tips, and humor :D The kind of dog we have is a Great Phyrnees. He ony gets after the chickens when they are trying to grab his dog food. I am not too partial to chickens, cause they try to dive bomb me, when I feed the dog. I try to keep a hat on, during this time. Gary likes fresh eggs, I wonder if they are worth the trouble????? :lol: Merry
Clip one wing on all the chickens. If that doesn't keep them on the ground enter them into a chicken flying contest. ;-)
0 x

Tod Dague
GURU
GURU

Postby Tod Dague » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:45 pm

dun wrote:
Tod Dague wrote:

Are you sure those are chickens and not buzzards?

dun
As a kid we had a neibor that had a mean roaster. One day their seep kicked the chicken litter out of him. He had a totaly different atitude after that. ;-)
0 x

mermill2
Rancher
Rancher

How do you keep chicks from eating tomatoes

Postby mermill2 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:51 pm

Thanks for the replies, can;t clip their wings, coyotes probably eat them or maybe foxes Can;t kill them, their Gary's eggs, he likes so well. No they aren;t buzzards, i think buzzards eat dead animals don;t they???/ Merry
0 x

Return to “Gardening”