marketing garden goods

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
jillj
Beginner
Beginner

marketing garden goods

Postby jillj » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi,
I'm wondering how all you farmers go about marketing your garden goods. If further details are needed, just ask. Thanks
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: marketing garden goods

Postby msscamp » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:01 pm

jillj wrote:Hi,
I'm wondering how all you farmers go about marketing your garden goods. If further details are needed, just ask. Thanks

We don't, but the ones that do use ads in the local papers, local farmers markets, signs on the highways, and word of mouth. You might think about checking with your local extension office, they could probably help you with this.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

ga. prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga. prime » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:59 pm

Good advice from msscamp. jillj, we don't plant with the intent to sell. However, we usually have a surplus and do try to market that. A good place is a roadside stand near a traffic light. After a while you'll have people telling you to call them when you have something and they'll come get it. Then you won't even need to go to the stand.
0 x
I Once Was on the cover of Sports Illustrated

denoginnizer
GURU
GURU

Postby denoginnizer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:48 pm

I have heard of farmers selling a "Fresh produce membership" .
This membership might include X amount of fresh eggs X amount of greens x amount of tomatoes etc,per week or per month.
The farmer would deliver the produce to the client/member.
0 x

denoginnizer
GURU
GURU

Postby denoginnizer » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:26 am

Not a whole lot of traffic over here in the gardenin section.
0 x

jillj
Beginner
Beginner

any experiences selling to local stores?

Postby jillj » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:08 pm

I'd like to hear about any tries with selling to local grocery stores...how did it go? What is/is not accepted at retail? Prices offered?
0 x

la4angus
GURU
GURU

Postby la4angus » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:31 pm

If you can find a small Mom and Pop store you very well could be successful with them. The chains could be iffy. It doesn't cost anything to try. The giants like wal mart would probly be hard to deal with. They are all computerized.
0 x
Hoff First Edition 058 242

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: any experiences selling to local stores?

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:42 pm

jillj wrote:I'd like to hear about any tries with selling to local grocery stores...how did it go? What is/is not accepted at retail? Prices offered?

A small grocery store here will buy produce you bring in and will even let you set up shop outside in the parking lot to sell greens and such. Most folks just sell 'em out of the pickup on the side of road.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

iowahawkeyes
GURU
GURU

Postby iowahawkeyes » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:47 am

Call the grocery store early in the season so they don't buy from their wholesaler. I do that with my fall produce. Fareway and HyVee will buy local and they advertise it as local too.

Otherwise, I just have a roadside stand on our farm and signs on the electric poles just like Burmashave.
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:11 pm

We sell beef at farmer's markets along with whatever produce Susie lets me take. One day we sold more pumpkins than beef.
Sweet corn sells for 3 ears for a buck and folks sell out quickly.
You need to look like what the public thinks a farmer is supposed to look like. I sell more beef in my bibs than I do wearing a Hawiian shirt.
Looking for a unsual easy to grow crop that the others are not selling...any ideas, remember that we have a short growing season up here. If we could get tomatoes to harvest before August a guy could make a fortune.
Just my two bits worth....Dave Mc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Australian Cattleman
GURU
GURU

Postby Australian Cattleman » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:24 pm

Well put Susie. We don't sell at any markets but we go along to buy things. We go to a car boot market as they call them down here some places. (has nothing to do with boots (shoes etc) you'd call it the trunk of your car. Most people have stalls set up. We buy poultry to breed from and buy fruit and veges that we can't grow in our area. I'll also buy plants for the garden or trees etc.
Colin
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:41 am

Here's SUsie and me manning the stall at one of the markets. We keep a stocked freezer in the truck and just climb up and get the beef when the customer orders. We had a load of pumpkins and squash on the straw bales to the left of the pics.
[img]
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC

"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Bullbuyer
GURU
GURU

Postby Bullbuyer » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:23 pm

Well I can say one thing for sure - she looks happier to be there than you do!!!
0 x

Return to “Gardening”