Soil Solarization

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Soil Solarization

Postby ga.prime » Sun May 15, 2011 9:45 am

So much easier than JD 71's.
That watergrass in the foreground was not under
the plastic. Area where the peas and okra are was
under the plastic.
Ali, I'll pull up some plants when they're older to
check nematode damage.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Looks pretty weed free to me. Also see you've taped the row marker out of the way on your planter too. ;-) :lol2: BTW for a mere $20/month technology fee I won't come up there and sow pigweed seeds in your garden. :lol2:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun May 15, 2011 10:47 pm

:lol2: The row marker was pretty useless and kept falling down as I'm sure you found out, Jo. The planter does a good job on seed depth and spacing though. Eyeballing the row spacing is close enough for me. It's not weed free but a lot closer than before the solarization treatment.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 am

I'd say the solarization was a success then cause nature isn't going to allow a vaccum.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue May 17, 2011 11:28 am

Thanks GA. I know very little about Okra (it is hard to come by here in SA) but read that it is very susceptible to root-knot and sting nematodes so that should be a good test. Did you previosly have nematodes in that treated area?
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue May 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Ali, yes there was a high population of root knot nematodes. They're especially tough on okra and beans. We'll see if the solarization put a dent in them.
0 x

owzvk49
Beginner
Beginner

Postby owzvk49 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Soil solarization is an organic method of weed killing which assures perfect removal of weeds from the area removing even a trace of the weed. Even after the preparation done prior to soil solarization that included many steps and pretty big hard work, there are chances for the presence of weed seeds under ground which you are not able to spot. Therefore, you need to kill them before they sprout. Laying landscape fabric is a task that is to be done after that. If you get a pest and building inspection done on your property before you start doing landscaping, you will be able to prepare well.

As a next step you have to cover the area that is raked and moistened with a clear polyethylene sheet. You should take care to keep the plastic sheet from blowing away and you may use cinder blocks to hold down the edges of the sheet. There should not be any sharp objects that stick up to puncture the plastic. You should use clear construction grade plastic that vary in thickness from one two six mils. The best time for soil solarization is when the sun is at its peak. After this much is done you may keep the plastic tightly stretched out over the area for about four to six weeks. During this time, the sun will be doing the job of cooking and killing the weeds for you without even allowing them a chance to sprout. By the time you could remove the plastic sheet from the area; your land has become a clean slate where you could begin your task of laying down the landscape fabric. You will also be using mulches as an additional precaution against weeds.
0 x

novatech
GURU
GURU

Postby novatech » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:25 am

I have had nut grass come up through the bottom of a 5' deep above ground swimming pool. The most luck I have had is with repeated use of glyphosate.
Each application kills the nut that has germinated. Then the next nut on the root system sprouts and must be taken care of before it has a chance of producing more nuts. After several years of this I have very little problem with it.
When applying I use a coffee can over the nozzle to stop drift. Also I have found that if you spray during the heat of the day glyphosate will volitise and kill some plants. I lost some roses that way.
0 x
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Mahatma Gandhi

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:24 pm

ga.prime wrote:Ali, I'll pull up some plants when they're older to
check nematode damage.

Ga.prime - you have had two years to experiment ;-) , do you have a verdict?
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:48 pm

If I went to the trouble of putting down plastic, I would discharge a few canisters of bromide gas under it.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:13 pm

alisonb wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Ali, I'll pull up some plants when they're older to
check nematode damage.

Ga.prime - you have had two years to experiment ;-) , do you have a verdict?

Yes, it helped some but didn't kill enough nematodes or weed seed to make it worth the effort. By the end of the growing season there was a large population of nematodes which hastened the end of the growing season. The solarization had no effect on nut grass. Crop rotation is a better option. I'm putting up another deer fence in a different location for next year.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:14 am

My experiment ended with similar results. Am currently working to eradicate pigweed and am using multiple applications of ferous oxide to reduce its seed bank. Its simply amazing how many seed those things can bear.
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm glad I remembered to read this thread before setting plastic out on the fall garden plot

It's nothing like the size you guys do but should work out. Most of our peppers and maters we do in container pots.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Good looking garden spot! Are you going to plant it right away or wait a while?
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:06 am

Waiting until aug and then I'll turn it over again
0 x

Return to “Gardening”