Winter Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Winter Garden

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:10 pm

I planted my winter garden last week has anyone else planted theres ?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Winter Garden

Postby ga.prime » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:29 pm

No, but I'm going to plant some turnips and mustard in the next few days. What did you plant in yours?
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I've put most of mine out but I doubt I'll have good results for another month. My idea of succesion planting is to plant to early and then spend the rest of the season reseeding enything that didn't take. :roll:
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:23 pm

The only thing that grows here in the winter is moss. I already have a good crop of that going.

But really I just ate my first sweet corn of the year earlier this week. The summer garden is just now getting ripe.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

ga.prime wrote:No, but I'm going to plant some turnips and mustard in the next few days. What did you plant in yours?

I planted curly Kale curly Mustard turnips beets broccoli cauliflower brussel sprouts cabbage and collard greens.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Sounds good, skyhigh. I'll probably set out some collard plants too.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:40 pm

thanks ga.prime I lost my summer garden the only thing that I got out of that was tomatoes somewhat.. but my sweet potatoes are still alive not sure how big or how many I will have. My white potatoes didnt make it.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I've been stagger planiting mine. Planted peas at end of August with the rain and am picking them now. Have cabbage, lettuce, onions, garlic, brocolli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts in ground but haven't planted the greens yet. It just keeps raining on me.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 am

Jogeephus wrote: Planted peas at end of August with the rain and am picking them now.

That's pretty good! Twenty days since the end of August. What kind of peas are those?
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am

ga.prime wrote:
Jogeephus wrote: Planted peas at end of August with the rain and am picking them now.

That's pretty good! Twenty days since the end of August. What kind of peas are those?

Wow! They must be on steroids :mrgreen:, it must be that 'stuff' Jo works into his ground . I know sugar snap and snow peas are quick to mature, usually around 55-60 days. It always amazes me to see new varieties coming out with the 'days to harvest' getting less and less, some day we will be able to grow a pumpkin in a month.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Postby Limomike » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 am

Same here.. we havent planted our greens yet, or our fall lettuce.. plan to soon though.
0 x
** All good things take time ***

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:33 pm

ga.prime wrote:

I found a seed bill so it was the 18th of August when I planted after we got that cooler spell and I got the notion from some volunteer pea sprouts that I could go ahead and plant. I jumped the gun a bit on the timing but with all the rain we had everything grew like crazy and didn't burn up. On the right are zipper peas, the staggered planting where Eli is standing has brussel sprouts, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli and cauliflower in it. Eli is standing on the brussel sprouts and he knows better but he loves to have his picture took. To the left of that is Mississippi Red Butterpeas which I highly recommend. Then there is cream 40 peas (already about played out), green crop beans (white flies did a number on them though), Mississippi purple hull peas, speckled butterbeans, Blue lake green beans (white flies tore them up too) and red zipper peas.

Not pictured is a portion of a row of summer squash but ya'll seen dead plants before I'm sure so no need showing such a brilliant failure. White flies again. In the gap on the far right is where I'll plant the turnips and mustard and maybe some rutabegas. I really need to spend some time in the garden but I'm sortof taxed at the moment. Picked four bushels of peas this week and have given away a lot but there is still a lot of stuff going to waste.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Jogeephus, you do realize that there's is a line between gardening and flat out farming, right? I tend to overproduce my produce but you've got me beat by miles. :lol:
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 am

:lol2: :lol2: CP, I can't help myself. I guess its my many failures that force me to want to plant "a little extra". Then there are those seed books they send you in the mail with the pretty pictures. It ain't fair. :nod:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:37 pm

my little winter garden ... i guess i should have hooked to the cultivator and layed my rows instead of using the hoe to make my rows lol ... o well crooked rows hold more seed lol

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z44 ... 2db724.jpg
0 x

Return to “Gardening”