Winter Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Winter Garden

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 am

Every time I look at the pictures of your garden it becomes more obvious to me I may need to put some water to mine. Its parched but still green.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Mine needs some good watering too hasnt rained in a couple weeks. I am enjoying my turnips out of the garden there delish.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:42 am

Curly leaf mustard I have growing in an old feed trough.

0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:46 am

That looks very healthy. Fella that owns the seed store has a bunch of stuff growing in square bales. I thought that was kindof interesting and I might give it a try.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:30 pm

That hay bale idea is interesting. Two good things about growing produce in feed troughs and would be true for hay bales as well are (1) you don't have to bend over to the ground to pick it and (2) the produce doesn't get sand splashed on it and is very clean when you pick it. Jo, if you do the hay bale idea, post the info if you don't mind.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:15 pm

Alright. But all they did was put some good soil in holes they made between the flakes of hay and stuck the plants in there. I've never seen it done that way. The guy says he waters it every day which is something I don't particularly care for but am thinking if you used an older bale or if you soaked the bale this might not be neccessary.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:32 pm

ga.prime wrote:Curly leaf mustard I have growing in an old feed trough.

Looks great... You are putting me to shame ... I have a ton of curly kale and curly mustard left my family is tired of freezing the stuff lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Alright. But all they did was put some good soil in holes they made between the flakes of hay and stuck the plants in there. I've never seen it done that way. The guy says he waters it every day which is something I don't particularly care for but am thinking if you used an older bale or if you soaked the bale this might not be neccessary.

Sounds great but too much work for my blood ... Jogeephus I know you will make it work somehow.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Probably not. I don't square bale and I'm not about to pay for one of those high priced pieces of gold. Of course I've got some rotten round bales that might do just fine. :nod:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Probably not. I don't square bale and I'm not about to pay for one of those high priced pieces of gold. Of course I've got some rotten round bales that might do just fine. :nod:

LMAO... very true.. rotten may be the best.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:59 pm

picked a few for dinner

0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:32 pm

Nice turnip. I imagine you could feed an army with a turnip patch. Still no rain here but I did cut one cabbage and some broccoli yesterday.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Nice turnip. I imagine you could feed an army with a turnip patch. Still no rain here but I did cut one cabbage and some broccoli yesterday.

Yea, I can use a few days of rain here myself. We are having such heavy frosts that I think its supplying just enough water to keep the plants thirst quenched. My cabbages are growing super slow there are a few that are around 6 inchs but I thought they would get way bigger so I probably won't cut any cabbages till Christmas. Broccoli is going well really starting to sprout. I started cutting the leaves off and its directing the energy to the broccoli heads more so I even started doing that with my brussel sprouts.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 am

I know its hard to cut small cabbages but if you don't you are going to have them running out your ears. I'd go ahead and cut a few along and along else you'll have them running out your ears and they will start splitting on you. Here is a recipe a friend gave me and you can use it as a little incentive to go ahead and cut one. This recipe gives cabbage a whole new meaning.

ingredients
one small head of cabbage thinly sliced
about 6 Italian sausages
1 small can of diced tomatoes drained
1 small can of sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion diced
3 or 4 cloves of garlic finely diced
1 red and 1 green bell pepper
about 1 tablespoon tomatoes paste
about 1 tablespoon lemon herb spice
about 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
about 1 teaspoon course black pepper to taste
mozzarella cheese

Procedure
crumble or slice sausage and fry until crispy, add onions until well caramelized, add garlic and lightly brown, add cabbage and lightly brown, add tomatoes and remaining ingredients except cheese. Warm through.

Scoop 1/2 mixture into a baking dish with slotted spoon, sprinkle with cheese, add remaining mixture and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is all brown and gooey.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks you must have read my mind jo i cut one today lol Now i am having broccoli out my ears and salad and lettuce i cant give enough of it away lol.. I am planning on chow chow right after xmas as soon as i get a good recipe for that.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”