Winter Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Winter Garden

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm

We finally got a shower last week and again today so I thought I'd check on the garden and was amazed what a little water can do. It was getting dark so I couldn't cut much stuff but needless to say I've gotta get busy eating veggies.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Jogeephus man thats good looking stuff... makes me want to go cut a head of cabbage now... I plan on making some CHOW CHOW this weekend.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Coco Donatella
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Coco Donatella » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Sure is some good looking stuff...makes me want to stir fry some brocolli, onions and carrots and serve over the top of some pork fried rice. :santa:
0 x
Is this the real life or is this just fantasy?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Stir fry is the menu for tomorrow night. We also like to take the brocolli, cauliflower and carrots and mix in a bag and marinate overnight in zesty italian dressing. Good eats.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:01 am

Can you please send me a plate tomorrow for dinner thanks?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 am

We can never do winter gardens here. Our Spring doesn't start until end May, and our Fall is totally over in October. We've had freeze on/off for weeks. Yesterday morning temp was 27. From 3:00 PM to some time in the evening, we had 9-10" of snow.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Kathie in Thorp wrote:We can never do winter gardens here. Our Spring doesn't start until end May, and our Fall is totally over in October. We've had freeze on/off for weeks. Yesterday morning temp was 27. From 3:00 PM to some time in the evening, we had 9-10" of snow.

that stinks.. i dont know what i would do without my winter garden.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Picked some out of the garden and started some sauerkraut.

Blanched and bagged brocolli and cauliflower for the freezer and also put up a gallon of pickled cauliflower and brocolli

Should be in good shape for some some stews and things.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:55 pm

I cut 4 cabbages im gonna get started on my chow chow soon.. I also cut some brussel sprouts too.. I am gonna put up a picture in a few.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:26 pm

0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Those are loaded to the hilt.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:51 am

Jogeephus wrote:Those are loaded to the hilt.

Yes Sir they were my daughter was helping me pluck them from the stalk she got tired of fighting with them and left me to finish up lol I am still thinking about the pickled brussel sprouts you mentioned to me. I may do the next batch that way. That stalk was hard as crap to cut even with my sharpest hunting knife I had to chop it like a ax cutting a tree.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:08 am

Pickled are well worth trying.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 am

yes sir .. my broccoli is out of control its rained for days and its growing so fast I cant keep it cut fast enough.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:35 pm

Getting loads of rain right now. I supsect I'll have some busted cabbage heads when it stops.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”