Winter Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Winter Garden

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:29 pm

I will probably have some too. my broccoli some had started to bolt and flower so i just cut them off and left them
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:31 pm

My sprouts don't have near the heigth yours do. Any tips on getting them to get taller? Mine are about a foot.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:02 pm

How far were your spaced apart ? When did you plant ? I fertilized till mid october since it was raining pretty good. I don't have any secrets maybe we got more rainfall and I fertilized more or something. How big are your sprouts on the them?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm not fertilizing. Completely organic. Its been dry till now. Sprouts are small but big enough to pick a few. Average is about the size of a piece of bubblegum.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 am

Jogeephus wrote:I'm not fertilizing. Completely organic. Its been dry till now. Sprouts are small but big enough to pick a few. Average is about the size of a piece of bubblegum.

I still use the old school 10-10-10 I don't have enough organic matter to use in my gardening. It has been fairly wet and rained atleast once a week since they were planted so thats my guess. How long have yours been planted?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:I'm not fertilizing. Completely organic. Its been dry till now. Sprouts are small but big enough to pick a few. Average is about the size of a piece of bubblegum.

I still use the old school 10-10-10 I don't have enough organic matter to use in my gardening. It has been fairly wet and rained atleast once a week since they were planted so thats my guess. How long have yours been planted?

I'm not against conventional fertilizer I just have about 32 tons of cow manure in the garden and didn't want to burn it. Rain is probably the difference.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:21 pm

gotcha... yea we got 2 inches or rain today i cant believe how much rain we have been getting. I wish i had 32 tons of horse manure in my garden
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 am

Did any of your cabbages bust jo?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:37 pm

None that I've seen. Just looks like they got bigger.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 pm

same here I got so much curly kale and curly mustard as well as old fashion mustard and collards growing out my ears lol
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Y'all drive me crazy. 12" of snow on the ground now. Low temp today was 10, and high was 25. We won't put tomato plants in till end-May.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Kathie in Thorp wrote:Y'all drive me crazy. 12" of snow on the ground now. Low temp today was 10, and high was 25. We won't put tomato plants in till end-May.

LOL sorry I would take the 12" of snow anytime u want to share lol.. can we trade veggies for snow ? dag end of may wow... where are you located?
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
Kathie in Thorp wrote:Y'all drive me crazy. 12" of snow on the ground now. Low temp today was 10, and high was 25. We won't put tomato plants in till end-May.

LOL sorry I would take the 12" of snow anytime u want to share lol.. can we trade veggies for snow ? dag end of may wow... where are you located?

Skyhightree, we are roughly 100 miles east of Seattle, at the bottom of the Cascades. I'd love to trade veggies for snow and crappy roads, but don't think that would probably work very well with shipping. We are just really getting into snow season here; first dump was before Thanksgiving. We are not far off I-90 - 5 people killed on the roads here last week.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:11 pm

eww.. sorry to hear that... The snow would give my garden a good soaking I honestly don't think it would hurt anything as long as it didnt stay on the veggies for a long time... we have had some really heavy frosts and they seemed to like it. I love snow we rarely get any here anymore.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 pm

This is a true winter garden. I tried to pull a turnip for dinner was frozen had to kick it out the dirt lol

0 x

Return to “Gardening”