Winter Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Winter Garden

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 am

Your killing me. Now I understand the brocolli and cheese dish. Lucky devil you. ;-)
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Douglas » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Douglas wrote:Do you guys every prepare the garden and run rows late in the fall, like now, for early planting of onions, poatoes, etc. I think my garden is dry enought now to bottom plow and run rows with the 140. I have a couple spots i forgot to sow my oats cover.

Douglas,
Do you mean run runs and just leave them till you plant or do you mean plant as well ? Because I have planted 3 or 400 onions about a month ago and garlic no potatoes but do you mean just make the rows now and plant them later on ? Sorry I am trying to figure out what you meant.

Just leave them till spring before planting.I normally bottom plow and run the rows just before planting especially for potatoes. My designated space for next year is pretty heavy bottom land that will be slow to dry up next spring. If i get a another dry week i might go ahead and just plow/run rows an area just enought for the earliest plantings for next march.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 am

Jogeephus wrote:Your killing me. Now I understand the brocolli and cheese dish. Lucky devil you. ;-)

LOL can have all the broccoli you want bring the gyro meat we will trade lol or just have a early thanksgiving lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:39 am

Douglas wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Douglas wrote:Do you guys every prepare the garden and run rows late in the fall, like now, for early planting of onions, poatoes, etc. I think my garden is dry enought now to bottom plow and run rows with the 140. I have a couple spots i forgot to sow my oats cover.

Douglas,
Do you mean run runs and just leave them till you plant or do you mean plant as well ? Because I have planted 3 or 400 onions about a month ago and garlic no potatoes but do you mean just make the rows now and plant them later on ? Sorry I am trying to figure out what you meant.

Just leave them till spring before planting.I normally bottom plow and run the rows just before planting especially for potatoes. My designated space for next year is pretty heavy bottom land that will be slow to dry up next spring. If i get a another dry week i might go ahead and just plow/run rows an area just enought for the earliest plantings for next march.

No sir I lay my rows right before im gonna plant because I like to disc my garden up till the dirt is like powder then lay my rows and plant
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 am

November melons. Just picked this melon and its wonderfully sweet. Planted about a quarter acre of melons and cantelopes in a quarter acre feedlot - you know - going organic and all. Plan worked like a charm except I didn't figure in my plots proximity to the cotton and the crop duster defoliated my patch along with the cotton. Out of the hundreds of melons I only ended up with two. But man are they good.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Douglas » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 am

When did you plant the mellons? August?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:05 am

I think it was in July cause I was already picking the other melons. I planted them in a feed lot that I sprayed with roundup to kill all the weeds back. Then I just stuck the seed in the rich dirt knowing the weeds would come back. The weeds competed heavily with them and slowed their growth but also protected them from the hot sun. Its not a pretty site. As fall came the weeds fell back and the vines began really dominating the site and they began flowering during the fall growth flush. No weeding, no spray just let nature do its thing. Has worked before with my being able to pick melons as late as December but the spray kinda messed things up. They are much sweeter though and no sun scald but I guess with the cotton defoliant they aren't organic. :lol2:
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:20 am

Jogeephus wrote:November melons. Just picked this melon and its wonderfully sweet. Planted about a quarter acre of melons and cantelopes in a quarter acre feedlot - you know - going organic and all. Plan worked like a charm except I didn't figure in my plots proximity to the cotton and the crop duster defoliated my patch along with the cotton. Out of the hundreds of melons I only ended up with two. But man are they good.

Awe, that's a shame, Jo. It sure is a pretty one though. I've never had any success with full size melons here.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 am

Cropdusters get yours too? ;-) :lol2:

I supsect you'd have to start yours inside in pots to get them up good before spring. They do take a lot of time.

Good thing though, with all the unripe ones in the lot I've got plenty of exploding targets to practice on. :lol2:
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Cropdusters get yours too? ;-) :lol2:

I supsect you'd have to start yours inside in pots to get them up good before spring. They do take a lot of time.

Good thing though, with all the unripe ones in the lot I've got plenty of exploding targets to practice on. :lol2:

:lol: :lol:
I've tried starting plants, I've tried direct sowing. I've tried everything, the season just isn't quite long enough.
I've grown the smaller varieties with limited success, but it's not really worth the space that I have to devote to them, I'd rather put in more squash. I have major problems with cucumber beetles here, so I have to figure on loosing half of all the cucurbits I plant anyway.
This probably would have been a good year for them since the soil warmed weeks earlier than usual but I gave up trying a couple of years ago.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Jogeephus wrote:November melons. Just picked this melon and its wonderfully sweet. Planted about a quarter acre of melons and cantelopes in a quarter acre feedlot - you know - going organic and all. Plan worked like a charm except I didn't figure in my plots proximity to the cotton and the crop duster defoliated my patch along with the cotton. Out of the hundreds of melons I only ended up with two. But man are they good.

Looking good... I will take a slice please email it to me lol or I will trade you 71 green maters for that lol
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm

"Winter garden . . . winter garden." Pflhhhhhhhhh. There is no such thing out here without a greenhouse. The winter garden is a dead fir tree that lives in the house for 2 weeks!
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Dinner time
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm

I'd hate to imagine the damage I could do to that with some onion and corn relish.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I'd hate to imagine the damage I could do to that with some onion and corn relish.

lol
0 x

Return to “Gardening”