celebrity tomato

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
whatisgmo
Cowhand
Cowhand

celebrity tomato

Postby whatisgmo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Can anyone explain to me how my favorite tomato could ever occur without genetic modification by humans? More specifically how does plant 1 remove its male organ prior to pollination, and how does plant 2 destroy itself after pollination? Also how does plant 2 know to plant itself 2 weeks later so that pollination occurs at the correct time to match plant 1 pollination time as they are different maturity.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: celebrity tomato

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Did you ever see the photograph of the kid in Hiroshima that was born with an arm growing out of his head? That's genetic modification brought on by radiation. That is a lot different than than a white woman marrying a black man and having a child that grows up to be president. That is hybridization and I think most would agree hybridization is spooky enough.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 am

I never knew plants could plant themselves. You mind explaining how that works? Last I checked the seed germinated under its proper growing conditions. This is really blowing my mind here. So do the seeds just crawl down into the soil and plant themselves? I am about to finish my B.S. degree in Agronomy at Iowa State so please understand why I am so surprised to hear of such a thing. Granted my degree is in agronomy and not horticulture so we never studied tomatoes. As for your tomato plants being unaltered by humans, I call bs on that, unless they are growing wild, in the middle of nowhere, unplanted by humans. If you bought them in a seed catalog and it said not genetically modified they lied to you and you should demand your money back!!! Everything we eat is genetically modified in some way or another because as soon as we had an understanding of how genetics worked in cross breeding we have been changing things since. Your tomatoes are the same way. Someone liked the taste of one tomato but it had too many seeds to they crossed it with one that didn't have as many seeds. They kept crossing these two plants to produce a tomato plant that produced tomatoes with great taste and less seeds. They genetically modified the plant to produce a tomato that they wanted. Humans have been screwing with the genetics of things for hundreds of years by breeding one animal that they thought was good to another that they thought was good, the same goes for plants. It was just that recently we discovered a scientific way of doing things that is based on science and years of research. This way just speeds up the process because you know what you are going to produce genetically for an offspring and if it will have the traits you desire when you breed two plants or animals. It is more controlled and specific. It actually changes fewer things than the old way of doing things in which plants or animals were crossed until the desired offspring was produced.

If the answer above does not suffice, well then you should thank God!!

These two answers might not be what you were looking for but sometimes life doesn't always produce what we expect it to and sometimes we are two dense to realize what life is trying to tell us. As for your blatant stand against gmo's as says your name, here is some advice for you. Do some actual research and educate yourself before judging something. It is pretty naive and narrow minded not to research things before judging them just like judging people before you get to know them. By researching things I mean university studies and credentialed institutions not some blog or writer typing in their living room. People are emotional about their food because here in the U.S. we love food. Face it we have a problem with eating too much because we love to eat. So to get a rise out of people and sell news or books, the media, bloggers, writers, stir the pot to make money. How do you stir the pot? You get people to be concerned or worried by saying things like "pink slime" "genetically modified" "pesticides" "herbicides" "insecticides" which people immediately associate with bad things when they do not know the truth about them. Look at the facts first. Currently you look like you don't have a clue what you are talking about. That's just my :2cents: though. I will gladly debate with you though if you wish to discuss it because I feel that gmo's are how we are going to feed the world. I will however not debate with you if you are not open minded and willing to look at the facts I present. I will keep an open mind to anything you offer to the table also. :cboy:
0 x
If its not broke, don't fix it.

whatisgmo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby whatisgmo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:03 am

Iowafarmer cross breeds happen every day naturally without human interference, I'm asking about hybrid tomato's it seems like a simple enough question. I will ask it again, without genetic modification by humans how could my favorite tomato plant ever occur naturally? How does plant 1 remove its male sex organ prior to pollination, and how does plant 2 destroy itself immediately after pollination? Also how does plant 2 know to plant itself two weeks after plant 1 was planted so that pollination occurs at the same time. Different planting dates are necessary because both plant 1 and plant 2 have different maturities.
0 x

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

whatisgmo wrote:Iowafarmer cross breeds happen every day naturally without human interference, I'm asking about hybrid tomato's it seems like a simple enough question. I will ask it again, without genetic modification by humans how could my favorite tomato plant ever occur naturally? How does plant 1 remove its male sex organ prior to pollination, and how does plant 2 destroy itself immediately after pollination? Also how does plant 2 know to plant itself two weeks after plant 1 was planted so that pollination occurs at the same time. Different planting dates are necessary because both plant 1 and plant 2 have different maturities.

Please explain the part to me about how a tomato plant number 2 knows how to plant itself? Last time I checked plants didnt just plant themselves. Do you mean germinate?
0 x

whatisgmo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby whatisgmo » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:17 pm

I never knew plants could just plant themselves either. Even more hard to believe is the fact the seed knows it has to wait 2 weeks so pollination will match.
0 x

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm sorry but you just don't make any sense in your posts. Please consider revising your questions, statements, and then attach some articles or something as to what you are talking about.
0 x

whatisgmo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby whatisgmo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:43 am

iowafarmer wrote:I'm sorry but you just don't make any sense in your posts. Please consider revising your questions, statements, and then attach some articles or something as to what you are talking about.
Question 1: How does plant 1 remove it's own male organ prior to pollination
Question 2: How does plant 2 destroy itself immediately after pollination
Question 3: How does plant 2 know to plant itself two weeks after plant 1 was planted so that pollination times would occur at the same time. None of these things seem possible naturally. I hope the questions have been revised simple enough for you.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”