had weeks of sunny warmth & I'm so tempted

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

had weeks of sunny warmth & I'm so tempted

Postby greybeard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:42 am

Unusually sunny and warm--70s and even a few 80s (and wet) now for most of Jan and Feb. I so badly want to get started on this year's garden--already have the seed, but I just know as soon as I do,winter will be back with a vengeance. What do ya think? Take a chance?

If it keeps raining, won't matter--be too wet to get into the garden with a tractor anyway.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Re: had weeks of sunny warmth & I'm so tempted

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 am

I broke mine a couple days ago. I plan to plant some potatoes,onions and maybe some peas when i get back home next week. If its not too wet to disk. Its pretty sandy though so the water usually runs off quick.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 am

I can't plow disc or plant here too wet wont stop raining lol I did take my farmall cub down the garden to see how wet it was and tires sunk down a good 10 inches into the mud. The good thing is I also have all my seeds and im ready to go. I hope the corn makes it this year I love sweet corn. I still have collards growin in my garden and cabbage.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 am

I have 6 in of fresh snow on my garden this morning.........Praise the Lord.

I only have to wait another 8 weeks to plant even the peas. Everything else goes in the ground here in may!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 am

lol sounds like a snow pea special
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 am

Well, it came a downpour late last night after I posted--clear and sunny today, but this old clay like soil is going to hold water for a long time. No garden work for me for sometime yet, but I did put out some more hybrid berry vines,a raspberry, another orange, and a grape vine on the garden fence--we'll see how that works out.

Got lots of grass starting to turn green in garden and pastures. Some folks around here do a herbicide burndown on their garden, let it die then plow it under. glyphosate.
Advisable or not?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 am

Grey I personally would not do a burndown with glyphosate. I would rather just turn the ground over. My main garden is 2 acres and I don't do a burndown just turn over disc lay rows and plant.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am

skyhightree1 wrote:lol sounds like a snow pea special

:lol2: Yep and still coming down. We just need about 10 feet of snow to break the drought but it's a start.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Grey I personally would not do a burndown with glyphosate. I would rather just turn the ground over. My main garden is 2 acres and I don't do a burndown just turn over disc lay rows and plant.

That's what I've always done--used a double bottom and turned it deep, then disked or used the power tiller but
I guess people around here don't use a turning plow much anymore and are trying to keep the shallow covered grasses and weeds from coming back up.

Last year, it was so wet in the early spring, that I just dropped the sweet corn down in straight lines (kinda) and pushed the kernels down in the mud with a stick. I don't do a big garden-just 2 of us here and the last time I went bigger, I got tired of canning and couldn't even give it all away.
0 x

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Postby Limomike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 am

still a little early if you ask me. Although they got the seeds and onion sets available at the feed store now.
I just put in my manure and fertilizer on my garden and turned it over last weekend. and as always.. need some moisture.
0 x
** All good things take time ***

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:15 am

Grey if I didn't plant that much my neighbors and family would probably starve lol Yea i only use turn plow in my garden. I use a 3 bottom plow for mine and use the same cultivator i use to clean up the weeds in the rows to lay the rows. I put fertilizer and horse manure last year I will turn over proably end of march and Limo I agree it is too early to plant here as well I will start planting weather permitting mid april.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Limomike wrote:still a little early if you ask me. Although they got the seeds and onion sets available at the feed store now.
I just put in my manure and fertilizer on my garden and turned it over last weekend. and as always.. need some moisture.

I'll share--come and git it. Clouded back up a little while ago and another steady downpour is in progress. I planted mid-march last year. Around Easter the year before. I try to plant before most do, so I can give my excess away before everyone starts trying to get rid of theirs. I hate waste.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 pm

I never have any waste I give to my employees as well or anyone who asks I just like raising gardens lol
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:11 pm

still snowing. wow does this feel good. we haven't seen this all winter.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

Not too wet around here to break it. Like I said, sandy soil drains off quick cause it had rained all night and the morning I did it.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”