Favorite Tomato

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
CottageFarm
-

Favorite Tomato

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:24 pm

In addition to growing tomatoes for market sales I also grow plants for nursery sales.
I still have some space left in my plug trays and I usually try to add a couple of new ones every year for trial.
This year I've not been able to come up with anything exciting to try, :help: so I thought I'd look to you all for some ideas. What's your favorite? What do you like best about it?

Inbred, I know yours is Celebrity. :lol:
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Favorite Tomato

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Not a tomato fan, but I know a big hit in this house is a Polish tomato, similar to a Roma. Lots of flesh, little to no seeds. Hard to find.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:52 pm

I am going to try Amish Paste this year.

Amish Paste (Heirloom): Very productive heirloom from Wisconsin that produces up to 12 oz, deep-red oxheart-shaped, meaty fruit. (Probably one of the largest paste tomatoes) Lots of sweet, tomatoey flavors from this coreless meaty fruit. A great slicing and sauce tomato.

you can find the seeds online.

0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

whatisgmo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby whatisgmo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 pm

CottageFarm wrote:In addition to growing tomatoes for market sales I also grow plants for nursery sales.
I still have some space left in my plug trays and I usually try to add a couple of new ones every year for trial.
This year I've not been able to come up with anything exciting to try, :help: so I thought I'd look to you all for some ideas. What's your favorite? What do you like best about it?

Inbred, I know yours is Celebrity. :lol:

Hey me and ol inbred have yet another thing in common, I like the Celebrity maters too. be nice GMO's
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Cottage go to growitalian.com and order some seed for the "Comice" pear tomato. It is a northern italian heirloom that gorws to 16 to 18 ounces easy and is an amazingly short season tomato. I promise you will be amazed byt that tomato!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks all. Keep them coming!

Chippie, I've tried the amish paste in the past. My customers just didn't seem interesed. Paste type tomatoes haven't done real well with my customers in general, though plant sales are somewhat trendy from year to year.

3way, they're not showing a variety by that name. Is this the same variety/different name?
http://www.growitalian.com/products/Tomato%2C-Red-Pear.html
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:16 pm

CottageFarm wrote:Thanks all. Keep them coming!

Chippie, I've tried the amish paste in the past. My customers just didn't seem interesed. Paste type tomatoes haven't done real well with my customers in general, though plant sales are somewhat trendy from year to year.

3way, they're not showing a variety by that name. Is this the same variety/different name?
http://www.growitalian.com/products/Tomato%2C-Red-Pear.html

Yes that is it. I have never grown anything like it in my life and it made at 7000feet and made early!
I put the plants out on May 15th and covered them for 3 weeks. We were eating tomatoes by Aug 10th. They were as tall as my head before the end of July
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:30 pm

I always put in Celebrity, but I also get some heirlooms from a gal not far from here every year. The problem with those heirlooms is it seems they always take S O stink'n long to finish, so I pray for warm weather early in the Fall. But for those, I like Box Car Willie, Hillbilly and (for sauces/paste) Amish Paste. But you have to be patient, and the plants are indeterminate, so they get huge!
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I love the cherry tomatoes. My wife will eat the big ones some but the kids and I don't care to much... instead we eat the sweet100's like candy.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I am having second thoughts about the Amish now. The Red Pear looks interesting.
I like to can tomato preserves and my husband likes to make salsa.

What would be best for us?
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Chippie, my tomato lady set a few TEXAS STRAWBERRY last year, and I brought one home. Looks like a sauce type tomato, but they are HUGE! But they didn't do real well in this climate -- got some, but not many. I don't see them on her list this year. Here, we are stupid to put in tomato plants until mid-May.
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:00 pm

0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Chippie, I need to preface the following statements by confessing this: I DON'T LIKE TOMATOES!
I know, it's almost blasphemous :lol2:
Now with that out of the way.
For tomato preserves, my recommendation would be to stick with sweeter, lower acidic tasting varieties. They don't need to be drier varieties, just really full flavored. Typically, the paste types don't offer that. They're really meaty, low juice & seed, but (my tastetester hubby tells me) the flavor is always a bit lacking. I am going to order some of the Italian variety that 3way mentioned. It sounds very interesting.

For salsa, I make mine with a mix of varieties. A paste type for some good chunks, I like the San Marzano. A beefsteak type for juice. My major standbys are Big Beef and Beefmaster. A couple of heirlooms for color and flavor. I like Prudens Purple and Mortgage lifter. I also use some Cherokee Purple for the smokey accent that it adds. I don't eat the salsa either,but others seem to really like it. :lol2:

Kathie and Inbred. What do you like about the Celebrity? I grew it a few times in AZ, but it never did very well there. I've not tried here, however, so maybe I should reconsider it.
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:10 pm

CottageFarm -- Here, Celebrity is always dependable, if you're looking for a salad tomato, or to slice one up for your burger. It will mature in our growing season, reliably. They aren't the greatest for canning, but they'll do.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 am

I ordered purple black tomato seed from a local supplier but it was a bit too late in the season to plant, rather disappointing as it's something I really want to try. Oh well.... next season :( .

Cottage - have you given them a try yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNNhVhi7vY
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Return to “Gardening”