Spring Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Spring Garden

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 am

What is everyone planting in there spring garden this year ?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Spring Garden

Postby greybeard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Yellow squash
maters
watermelons
sweet corn
blue lake beans
jalapenos and bell peppers
maybe some okra and some kind of greens and broccoli for the grasshoppers to devour again.
Got a few strawberry plants in a raised bed in the back yard for the birds to have some berries to eat.

Finally dried out enough that I was able to get mine broke up, disked, and drug level today.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Grey im jealous im supposed to get 5-10 inches of snow tomorrow lol
I am planting alot of the same as you. How big is your garden ?
Turnip greens
Onions
Garlic
Maters
cucumbers
Cantaloupes
Squash
Sweet corn
Blue Lake Beans
Cabbage
Sweet potatoes
White Potatoes
Pumpkins
Peas
Green Peppers
I am trying okra for the first time this year
Strawberry plants i planted didnt do jack last year
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

skyhightree1, I will be in Farmville the first week of June. Is that about right for some fresh veggies.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Grey im jealous im supposed to get 5-10 inches of snow tomorrow lol
I am planting alot of the same as you. How big is your garden ?
Turnip greens
Onions
Garlic
Maters
cucumbers
Cantaloupes
Squash
Sweet corn
Blue Lake Beans
Cabbage
Sweet potatoes
White Potatoes
Pumpkins
Peas
Green Peppers
I am trying okra for the first time this year
Strawberry plants i planted didnt do jack last year

Small this year. We over did it too much last 3 years, so just planting the one next to the yard. Get about 14 fifty foot rows if I plant 3 ft apart--more than I want to mess with really, but am going to wait at least 2 more weeks to plant anything except the berries. Winter is not done here yet either.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:12 pm

kenny thomas wrote:skyhightree1, I will be in Farmville the first week of June. Is that about right for some fresh veggies.

Kenny I should have something fresh for you if mother nature cooperates with me lol and would bring you some as I am always in farmville going to see my sister at longwood college.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Grey winter is definately not done here. My garden is lil over 2.5 acres. I plant for my family friends and my guys that work for me neighbors or anyone that wants to come pick it and I also give some to the older people that can't pick it that I rent land from.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:skyhightree1, I will be in Farmville the first week of June. Is that about right for some fresh veggies.

Kenny I should have something fresh for you if mother nature cooperates with me lol and would bring you some as I am always in farmville going to see my sister at longwood college.

I will be teaching at the Wildland Fire Academy that is held at Longwood College that week. Small world.
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Very small world. If I have something in the garden thats ready I'll bring it down to you or maybe meet up with you and grab a drink or bite to eat.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Very small world. If I have something in the garden thats ready I'll bring it down to you or maybe meet up with you and grab a drink or bite to eat.

Yep, that will work great.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Kenny this rains getting ridiculous here. I bushhogged some of my garden last week all but the onions garlic and collard greens and was planning on breaking it up but up here its a soupy mess in the fields and gardens what about there?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Drought index here is 0 on a scale of 0-800 meaning the ground will not hold any more water. We have gotten over 1 1/2 inches today so creeks are high. Usually people here are starting to do a little garden by now but not this year.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Yea its a little crazy. I wonder if this rain will continue this same way all year.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Last fall the predictions were for a colder and dryer winter. They sure missed that one. We have had almost 14" of rain since Jan 1. It now shows a wet trend for the next couple months. Warm also.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:49 pm

gotcha... I cant wait to get my garden in the ground. I am gonna try to be self sufficient from stores minus milk cheese coffee sugar stuff like that
0 x

Return to “Gardening”