Spring Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Spring Garden

Postby 3waycross » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I got a ton of powdery mildew on my peaches.

If it hits your squash, and melons it will wreck em!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:48 pm

funny I cut my squash and cucumbers and tops of my potatoes today with the brush hog lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I got a ton of powdery mildew on my peaches.

I am fighting the crap out of the powdery mildew in my squash, with all the rain we have had. Tried a new product called Serenade last night. It's supposed to be safe for organic gardening and can be used right up to harvest.

Gave up on the cukes and pulled em all almost 2 weeks ago!

Anyone have any experience with it?
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:42 pm

Has anyone tried milk as treatment for powdery mildew? I rotate between copper sulphate(or bordeaux mix) and milk. Milk/water ratio abt 1:10. It's very effective on cucurbits if applied weekly, I have not tried it on peaches though.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:15 pm

alisonb wrote:Has anyone tried milk as treatment for powdery mildew? I rotate between copper sulphate(or bordeaux mix) and milk. Milk/water ratio abt 1:10. It's very effective on cucurbits if applied weekly, I have not tried it on peaches though.

I haven't I read about it but the Serenade seems to be working. I might try it next time. The Serenade is a microbial product and i like the way it says it's safe for Organic gardens!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm

where did you get the serenade from? I will try milk on my peppers and maters next year as mine are rotting once they get ripe... boo...
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:24 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:where did you get the serenade from? I will try milk on my peppers and maters next year as mine are rotting once they get ripe... boo...

Local nursery!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:51 pm

i thought i was growing sweet taters not grass

0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Thar ya go Monsanto......roundup ready sweet taters for SKY
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:22 pm

1982vett wrote:Thar ya go Monsanto......roundup ready sweet taters for SKY

:lol: I need them to expedite that process so i can have them for next year.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:31 pm

alisonb wrote:Has anyone tried milk as treatment for powdery mildew? I rotate between copper sulphate(or bordeaux mix) and milk. Milk/water ratio abt 1:10. It's very effective on cucurbits if applied weekly, I have not tried it on peaches though.

A friend gave me some Bordeaux today. Tell me how you use it please Alison!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:49 pm

I was walking the garden and noticed a sweet tater sticking out the gound so I decided to pull it up and take it inside this is what I found in one hill.

0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:04 am

3waycross wrote:

A friend gave me some Bordeaux today. Tell me how you use it please Alison!

I mix it in a backpack spray, the entire plant gets sprayed but concentrate on spraying the underneath of leaves - a light spray, not too much, you don't want to change the PH of your soil. Every second - third week should do. I try to start early in the season before PM is noticed. Once it is present I think a weak milk/water solution may be more effective. Be sure to filter the mixture through a cloth if you spray does not have a filter. Plants can also be dusted with the powder instead of wetting mixture. Spray in lower temps as you could end up with leaf burn. Is there anything else you would like to know?
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 pm

I mix it in a backpack spray, the entire plant gets sprayed but concentrate on spraying the underneath of leaves - a light spray, not too much, you don't want to change the PH of your soil. Every second - third week should do. I try to start early in the season before PM is noticed. Once it is present I think a weak milk/water solution may be more effective. Be sure to filter the mixture through a cloth if you spray does not have a filter. Plants can also be dusted with the powder instead of wetting mixture. Spray in lower temps as you could end up with leaf burn. Is there anything else you would like to know?
[/quote]

No that should suffice. I have been using the milk and baking soda with limited success. Of course my favorite variety of Zuchinni is the least resistant so it is covered but still producing. I am afriad it's about a goner.

I am working hard to keep the Lakota and Buttercup healthy so that they will make. Acorn doesn't seem to be affected at all.

BTW i used the milk and BS on the cantelope and regret it. the leaves burned bad and curled
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 am

Have never used baking soda for that purpose. I would imagine the milk activates the baking soda, that could perhaps damage leaves?? Good luck anyway :D
0 x

Return to “Gardening”