Spring Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Spring Garden

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 pm

3 way thanks for the info and website... 3way did you see my collards from last year in the winter garden section here? What variety do you plant? I would have gladly sent you some collard seeds if i knew you wanted them buddy. I only eat mine really one way so I may not be of help for different recipes. I only like to plant my collards in the winter and only eat them after a heavy frost has hit them as that makes them sweeter.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:3 way thanks for the info and website... 3way did you see my collards from last year in the winter garden section here? What variety do you plant? I would have gladly sent you some collard seeds if i knew you wanted them buddy. I only eat mine really one way so I may not be of help for different recipes. I only like to plant my collards in the winter and only eat them after a heavy frost has hit them as that makes them sweeter.

I guess i didn't see them Sky, the seeds i bought just say Collards on them. Not sure what variety. I have to laugh when you folks talk about winter gardens.

When it gets to 10 below zero all we raise is icecicles.

I do raise the endive to eat in the fall though and i have thought about making a pit for my root vegetables that we can use out of this winter. but nuthin grows here after Nov and before March.
BTW the way i had collards fixed was stewed with some ham and they were real good. Kinda salty but great texture and flavor!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm

3way here ya go
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=79437&hilit=winter+garden
lol we dont get that cold but if so it wouldnt affect the collards or broccoli or onions not sure about anything else. I normally eat my collards with a hamhock or some piece of fat meat and sugar boiled after its done cooking i put vinegar on them
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri May 24, 2013 9:20 am

Sky the Collards are called Georgia Southern. Have you used them. I read the planting instructions and it says to plant 8 seeds together about 12" apart and then i guess you thin them to 1 or 2 plants. Is that correct? I was just going to plant them in a row and thin them and eat the ones i thinned!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 am

3way I personally have used those but my preference is champion collards they grow huge and are tender even though you wouldnt think so. As far as the directions go thats what they recommend but for me I take the black plastic planters that lets say tomatoes come in and start individual seeds in the planters till they are big enough to put in the ground its easier for me to do that thinning them out to me less they are handled less likely you will damage the roots. I have even started plants in solo cups the red cups ya know and then transplanted it just makes more sense to me. I hope that helps you out.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 am

skyhightree1 wrote:3way I personally have used those but my preference is champion collards they grow huge and are tender even though you wouldnt think so. As far as the directions go thats what they recommend but for me I take the black plastic planters that lets say tomatoes come in and start individual seeds in the planters till they are big enough to put in the ground its easier for me to do that thinning them out to me less they are handled less likely you will damage the roots. I have even started plants in solo cups the red cups ya know and then transplanted it just makes more sense to me. I hope that helps you out.

Probably too late to start plants. I think i'll just sow em and see how it goes. Do they want a lot of nitrogen?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:00 am

I side dress mine after they came up about 2-3 inches on both sides pretty good cultivated the fertilizer i use which is 10-10-10 and that seems to work great for mine. I generally go back a month later and fertilize heavily and repeat that process and they get huge but you gotta get plenty of rain or be willing to water them.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I side dress mine after they came up about 2-3 inches on both sides pretty good cultivated the fertilizer i use which is 10-10-10 and that seems to work great for mine. I generally go back a month later and fertilize heavily and repeat that process and they get huge but you gotta get plenty of rain or be willing to water them.

We do not get much rain most years so if you garden you WILL water. The one year I remember we got a lot of rain was about 5 years ago and everything grew like crazy. Until the powdery mildew hit and wiped all of the cucurbits(squash and cukes) in about a week!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:23 pm

thats not good well if you water you should be good to go. just make sure when you side dress that you do not get it directly on the plant and if so wash it off or it will burn it up.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 pm

0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:58 pm

thank you 5 inches of rain my favorite veggie is ready now
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:19 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Dave what do you plan on planting?

3way you don't like squash much do you???????? lol sounds good does anyone plant potatoes anymore? you can plant potatoes while its still frosting maybe about 3 weeks before last expected frost. There is nothing like a garden fresh tater. I wish I had a green house I would have all kinds of stuff in there. Sounds like its gonna be a good garden 3 way. Is it pretty big?
BTW i guess yall cant raise sweet taters out there can you?

The cold rain lasted longer than expected and then I got busy. Plan B is to plant this weekend. I raise corn, green beans, spinach, lettuce, brocholi, cucumbers, snow peas, tomatoes, turnips, onions, beets, and some squash. I am way behind this year. But everything should make it. I will just be harvesting a little later than usual.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 pm

better late than never lol I just got a nice chunk of broc and squash today my peas i got all i could out of them out of both gardends and tilled them up and replanted them cabbages are almost ready. What kind of temperature do you have there?
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Now that's it's all in and apparently going to survive the last frost here's a rundown of what I planted.

Lakota Squash
Buttercup Squash
Acorn Squash
Butternut Squash
Black Zuchinni
Green Zuchinni
Cocozele (striped zuchinni
Yellow straight neck squash
Poblano Peppers
Anaheim Chili's
New Mexico Chili's
Gold Bell Peppers.
Marconi Peppers
Garden Salsa Peppers
Cucumbers
Fennel
Carrots
Beets Red and Gold
Black Krim Tomatoes
Big Beef Tomatoes
Sungold Tomatoes
Bush Early girl
Tomatoes 30 total
Peppers 40 total
Collards
Swiss chard 3 kinds
Cima Di Rapa
Green leaf
Red Leaf
Romaine
Mesclun Mix
Giant Sunflowers
Genovese Basil
Lemon Basil
Common Basil
Calabrese Oregano
Northern Italian Oregano
Rosemary
Sage
Italian Parsley
Mexican Oregano
Blue Lake bush Beans
Meraviglia Di Oro Pole beans from Italy
Green Pole beans from Italy

The pole beans are really special. The grow up to 10in long and over 1/2 in wide and can be eaten right off the vine they are so sweet and tender!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:00 pm

sounds good .. pole beans are good but i will not plant them again lol
0 x

Return to “Gardening”