Spring Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Spring Garden

Postby 3waycross » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Garden looks good. You are approx 2 1/2 months ahead of me.

I will not pick anything but lettuce and greens for 8 weeks or so!
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks, I love greens and love them even more cause it doesnt take long for them to grow before you can pick them. we planted our gardens on good friday well most of it anyhow.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:28 pm

went to the grocery store today

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:14 pm

look whats peeking out
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:41 am

Local melons are a little late but being picked.

:shock: $10 for the good ones.... :o
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:52 am

10 dollars geez.. maybe I should have planted 5 acres of them lol
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:53 pm

posted this pic in the what are you eating today but incase some people dont look at that thread this is what I got when I dug up one potato plant.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:01 am

skyhightree1 wrote:posted this pic in the what are you eating today but incase some people dont look at that thread this is what I got when I dug up one potato plant.

Dang sky. Thats more than i got on 3 plants. Told the wife i guess we wont be canni g potatoes after all. I probably didnt get more than 20 lbs. Thats what i planted. :cry2:
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 am

0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 am

Craig Miller wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:posted this pic in the what are you eating today but incase some people dont look at that thread this is what I got when I dug up one potato plant.

Dang sky. Thats more than i got on 3 plants. Told the wife i guess we wont be canni g potatoes after all. I probably didnt get more than 20 lbs. Thats what i planted. :cry2:

Craig let me ask you this how did you plant your potatoes? What fertilizer did you use? Did you get alot of rain or water them alot?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:10 am

ga.prime wrote:Image

ga that is looking good buddy. What kind of cucumbers did you plant? I plant the pickling cucumbers. I guess the deer couldnt get in to eat your goodies.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:27 am

Those are straight eight cukes. I like those pickling cukes you're talking about too but I didn't plant any this year. That's right, all deer excluded! :lol2: If the deer had gotten in there the cukes are the first thing they would have eaten to the dirt.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:54 am

ga.prime wrote:Those are straight eight cukes. I like those pickling cukes you're talking about too but I didn't plant any this year. That's right, all deer excluded! :lol2: If the deer had gotten in there the cukes are the first thing they would have eaten to the dirt.

LOL... I wonder exactly what makes vines so good that they eat them like that maybe they are sweet to them or something. I know my friends upset cause he planted an acre of sweet potatoes and the deer ate those vines down to dirt lol
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 am

I plant with triple 13 fertilizer. One thing i didnt do this year i did last is hill the rows. I have lots of excuses why but none of them are very good. Another thing that hurt me was my tiller quit on me. It pretty much looked like i was growing a bermuda garden. I wish there wasnt any bermuda on the whole place. We have had a lot of rain this year. We had to replant everything but the potatoes and onions due to being washed out. We are planning on doing a year round garden. This will be the first yaer to try it after talking about it for several years.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 am

Craig I normally make a 6 inch trench and put in alot of fertilizer that is heavy in phos and potas cover the fertilizer in 2 inches of dirt then plant the potato seeds on top of the dirt thats on top of that fertilizer which is normally something like 5-20-15 or something to that extent and hill them up with a small hill and after they take root good I will side dress both sides heavily with 10-10-10 and hill them every week but before i hill i side dress not after I hill. When I see blooms start its normally my last time of hilling so i load it up with 19-19-19 on the sides then hill it has given me some pretty good results. Did you buy your seed potatoes?
0 x

Return to “Gardening”