Spring Garden

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Re: Spring Garden

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Yes I bought them from the co op. They werent great. I should have just gone to piggly wiggly and bought some potatoes and let them sprout. I will try the different type fertilizer when i plant them again. May even do some in the fall. I think the thing that hurt the most was not hilling them.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Craig I don't use potatoes out the store cause they have chemicals that are put on them to keep them from sprouting and that may have some effect on growing the potatoes. If you didn't hill them thats a great deal of where the problem lies in my opinion. Is there a reason why you didn't hill them?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Thought i would post a few pictures. As you can see where we don't water there isn't much growing. I do almost everything in raised beds of some kind. Will post tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and beans later when they are worth photographing!

First picture is some of the winter squash, with collards lettuce and peppers in the foreground
Genovese Basil with on little Calabrese Oregano in the corner
Lemon Basil, Same oregano
Cima Di Rapa quarantina.(we fry it like any other greens. The hearts are great, a lot like a broccoli but it's very closely related to mustard greens
Golden bells and cukes. the cukes suck this year. they won't trellise for squat
Poblano peppers collards and my giant sunflowers
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 pm

looks darn good to me thanks for sharing... what kind of tomatoes did you plant?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:looks darn good to me thanks for sharing... what kind of tomatoes did you plant?

Black Krim, Sungold, mortgage lifter and some bush varieties. The bush plants are setting fruit well. My indeterminates no so good. I will have some pole bean pics for you soon! :lol2:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 am

lol I plant big boy and better boy... I just planted some half runner green beans 2 weeks ago for my 2nd set of beans.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 am

skyhightree1 wrote:lol I plant big boy and better boy... I just planted some half runner green beans 2 weeks ago for my 2nd set of beans.

My bush beans haven't even bloomed yet!. But then again it got down to 55 here last night. I will take the cool nights and slower garden any day!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:56 am

My tomatoes have been busting open this year im guessing from all this rain and I got a FN turtle that was eating them I didnt stake them this year and now I am paying for it.
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 am

I just didnt get it done sky. I wont make that mistake again. Also I didnt know that about the grocery store potatoes.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 pm

Craig Miller wrote:I just didnt get it done sky. I wont make that mistake again. Also I didnt know that about the grocery store potatoes.

I can understand not getting stuff done I just didnt know if you were trying another hilling process is what I was wondering lol.. Yea the grocery store taters thing I found out the hard way myself lol I still aint dug my taters but will put up some pics.
0 x

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 pm

3waycross wrote:Thought i would post a few pictures. As you can see where we don't water there isn't much growing. I do almost everything in raised beds of some kind. Will post tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and beans later when they are worth photographing!

First picture is some of the winter squash, with collards lettuce and peppers in the foreground
Genovese Basil with on little Calabrese Oregano in the corner
Lemon Basil, Same oregano
Cima Di Rapa quarantina.(we fry it like any other greens. The hearts are great, a lot like a broccoli but it's very closely related to mustard greens
Golden bells and cukes. the cukes suck this year. they won't trellise for squat
Poblano peppers collards and my giant sunflowers

That looks beautiful 3way ! Very nice, especially with the the weather conditions you have . :tiphat:
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:44 am

Your own Italian garden in Colorado, looking good 3way!
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 pm

0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Just finished ripping out my Cukes. Powdery Mildew. Been tehre done that. If i left them and tried to treat it i would lose every cucurbit on the place.

Sunflowers grew a foot in the last 2 days. Peppers are going nuts and my tomatoes still suck. Gonna hit it all with some Spray and Grow tomorrow!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 pm

I got a ton of powdery mildew on my peaches.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”