Portable Tunnels

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

Portable Tunnels

Postby alisonb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 am

Started making these little tunnels as it always seem I have a problem with damping off, birds, buck, frost etc, after transplanting the young plants. These little tunnels will only be used until the plant has strengthened or for against frost in which instance a frost covering will be fastened over the net. They are quick and simple to make, I've made 11 so far and still need to do about 20.

All it consists of is - round bar, conduit, cable ties, nuts and netting. Have cut the round bar in lengths of 10ft(3 per tunnel), the conduit is heated and bent in 4,5ft width arc(3 per tunnel). Round bar placed in end arcs for strengthening. Drilled holes in conduit to accommodate round bar, thread cut on end of each round bar to accommodate a nut on either side of conduit so that it does not slip on bar. Attach net with cable ties.

Could I be doing anything to simplify them even more? I need a structure that is relatively strong and will last a couple of years.

0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Re: Portable Tunnels

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:37 pm

I think if it were me I'd use plastic instead of nets. You'd get a little more heat to aid germination/growth and eliminate the need for a frost cover. Here plastic is a lot cheaper than netting as well. If irrigation is an issue plastic is fantastic as in no evaporation. The downside would be ventilation if you're already having a problem with damping off.
I won't bother giving you a source because of that whole shipping things halfway around the world thing but I've found that it's cheaper to buy parts for things like a hoop house than it is to try to build one on my own and often (very often in my case) the people designing it have made the mistakes I'm about to make and have adjusted to compensate.
0 x

LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Postby LRTX1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm with cp. We call them seed beds. Used to start seeds early and then transplant the seedlings to the desired location. You can really pack the seedlings in their as they will be transplanted into a row later.
0 x
Layne

Education is expensive, no matter where you get it.

Education is important but, cold beer is importanter.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm

CP - Will definitely cover some in plastic and test them in really cold months, I do irrigate from overhead though so it would involve moving the tunnels when I have to spray. They will be crazy hot in summer :shock: . Our plastic is about double the price of that net I used, it's only a 20%.

LRTX1 - I use a seed bed as well, those plants in the little tunnel had just been transplanted and that is the time they need protection. The seed beds are in one of the big tunnels.

Have decided to do away with the round bar and just use conduit with the connecting joins instead, will have to test it first.

Thanks guys :D
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

snappybob
Beginner
Beginner

Postby snappybob » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Have you thought about just using a cattle panel bent into a U shape with cable running along the bottom on each end to hold it to the degree of "U" that you want. They are a little heavy to move with just one person but really simple to make. Three components, panel, cable (rope, wire, or whatever & cover. I made a 10 X 10 green house out of cattle panel and it was really simple to construct. It's a permanent structure so a little more complicated than what you are doing but I think the principle would be about the same.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks snappybob, I'll bear that in mind if I need more of a permanent structure :D . The tunnels have to be as light as possible as they are being moved quite a bit. As plants are transplanted they get covered with the tunnel for about three days until they have strengthened, the tunnel is then moved to the next area....
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:20 am

Some improvements on the tunnels, am now satisfied. They have really come in handy when planting.

0 x

Return to “Gardening”