Fig Trees

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
M5farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Fig Trees

Postby M5farm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 am

skyhightree1 wrote:i have been following this thread cause i have never had a fig but like fig newtons and yall have twisted my arm to buy a tree.

Fig Newtons LOL.

I never really cared for the newtons. guess I was spoiled with what real figs tasted like.

Fig trees require alot of water. We always plant them close to the kitchen sink drains
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:04 am

lol i love newtons I have never had a fresh one. I will put it near the ditch line of my propery thats where my weeping willow is
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 am

skyhightree1 wrote:lol i love newtons I have never had a fresh one. I will put it near the ditch line of my propery thats where my weeping willow is

I think Fig Newtons have a 50 year shelf life, but they are stale after the 2nd day.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 pm

lol funny all this talk about them I will have to get some this evening.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 pm

According to the planting instructions in the packet Fig trees need 1 to2" of water per week. They like water but not soggy roots so it said to plant them in good soil with good drainage where water does not stand. I planted mine on high ground within easy reach of the water hose.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Have about 30 5yr old trees, took cuttings from older trees on the property. They really start yeilding well from the third year on. I make a lot of green fig preserve so I'm not hit with a whole lot of ripe figs at once.

Enjoy, nothing nicer than a ripe fig off the tree!
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I got two more fig trees today. They are Texas figs. I also got two blueberry bushes and a pink dogwood. Figs were 2 to 3' high, blueberry bushes are about 4.5' high and the dogwood the same. All for 16.00 total :D
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Hoss, be sure to check your ph of your soil where you plant the blueberries. The like acid soil - about 4.5 or so. If you've limed your pasture and yard they will die unless you raise the pH. Best check your soil and if its got a high pH then throw some sulfur around them to lower the pH.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Fred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 pm

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/ ... G_0376.jpg
These are some of my figs from last year. I made preserves and dehydrated some.
0 x
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Hoss, be sure to check your ph of your soil where you plant the blueberries. The like acid soil - about 4.5 or so. If you've limed your pasture and yard they will die unless you raise the pH. Best check your soil and if its got a high pH then throw some sulfur around them to lower the pH.

Coffee grounds work pretty well to. Pine needles work but take a while to get into the soil.

As far as figs, I've put in one next to ever good water source on every place I've owned. The old timers here used to plant one everywhere they found a spring/water close to the surface that didn't already have a sycamore on it and some of the oldest wells in production here have an old fig tree next to them. Mostly the wildlife gets the figs but I know when I see one that I need to poke around and find the water.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”