Weeds

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

Weeds

Postby alisonb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 am

How do you handle weeds under and around fruit trees? I've been too chicken to use poison :help:
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Weeds

Postby M5farm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 pm

round up
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:15 pm

What sort of weeds do you mean? I mow under mine.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Well some weeds but mostly a 'kweek' grass. I think you refer to it as Bermuda grass or couch grass, with it's rhizomes and stolons plus seed. It's terrible :shock: . I have Round Up but am just scared it kills off the trees. Perhaps try spraying around a couple of trees first and see what happens....
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:16 pm

alisonb wrote:Well some weeds but mostly a 'kweek' grass. I think you refer to it as Bermuda grass or couch grass, with it's rhizomes and stolons plus seed. It's terrible :shock: . I have Round Up but am just scared it kills off the trees. Perhaps try a couple of trees first and see what happens....

don't spray the trees just the "grass, Weeds" I spray around fig, peach, plum, lemon trees with no problems. For small trees I use a Old political sign as a shield against the tree or shrub.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 pm

M5farm wrote:round up

ditto
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 pm

M5farm wrote:round up

Round-up all the way!!

Depending on the size of the trees, you can always wrap the base to prevent any exposure to the young wood when spraying.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Glyphosate(roundup) will kill Bermuda grass but if you have any suckers on your trees it will damage the tree as well so you have to be careful not to get any drift and sucker before you spray. Contact killers like Rely can be applied directly to the suckers and it will save you the time of suckering in addition to knocking down the weeds.
Personally, I knock the suckers off and hit any glyphosate resistant weeds with the Rely and then spray the rest of it with glyphosate.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:18 am

Much obliged fellas :D . CP, does not look like we have Rely here in SA, will inquire directly from agents.

Here is an article some of you may find interesting - http://www.growingproduce.com/article/32583/rely-herbicide-in-short-supply
0 x

Return to “Gardening”