tomatoes

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: tomatoes

Postby 101 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks B&M Farms, I have never gotten a soil test on our garden plot but will do so soon, the last one I got on some farm ground I needed help even understanding the results Ha Ha ! Our extension office am sure will help. Jogeephus thanks also for the epson salt and mulch idea, My mother years ago always put down straw around her plants also, I always thought it was to help retain the moisture under the plants, back then we carried the water buckets by hand, If I had to do that my garden would be pretty small !! Thanks all for the help again. 101
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 am

The straw will help retain water but more importantly it will block the pathogen vector from the rainfall splash onto the plant. Many of your diseases are transferred in this manner. Newspaper with straw on top of it works well. The epson salt will end any blossom end rot and will also make your plants more cold hardy as well.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

B&M Farms
Rancher
Rancher

Postby B&M Farms » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 am

Jogeephus wrote:The straw will help retain water but more importantly it will block the pathogen vector from the rainfall splash onto the plant. Many of your diseases are transferred in this manner. Newspaper with straw on top of it works well. The epson salt will end any blossom end rot and will also make your plants more cold hardy as well.

This is true. A barrier between the plant leaves and soil will help control disease.
0 x

Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 101 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks much for th help!! 101
0 x

Return to “Gardening”