a friend gave me a scuppernong plant

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

a friend gave me a scuppernong plant

Postby greybeard » Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Rooted and in good shape in a gallon container.
Where do I plant it? Sun--shade-mix?
What kind of soil?
How big does it grow and what kind of thingie do I need to build for it to grow on?
Do they make a big bush or just a long climbing vine like other muscadines?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: a friend gave me a scuppernong plant

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't know about those species but my grapes and blueberries I planted this year are in full sun and I used miracle grow potting soil for half the hole then my normal surrounding dirt for the rest of the soil. I am planning on either building a trellis and using old field fencing piece or a hot panel nailed to 4x4's to make an arch or just use 2 4x4's with wire throught them in a zig zap manor for the grapes to grow up and on those.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 09, 2013 1:25 pm

GB it is a muscadine so treat the same way. over head trellis or wire works well because the fruit is heavy and will hang and easier pickin.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm

M5farm wrote:GB it is a muscadine so treat the same way. over head trellis or wire works well because the fruit is heavy and will hang and easier pickin.

M5 that answer came a lil too quick... you seem to know alot about the muscadine grape family you down there making some muscadine grape wine and haven't shared ?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 09, 2013 1:32 pm

[quote="greybeard"]Rooted and in good shape in a gallon container.
Where do I plant it? Sun--shade-mix? mix will be fine
What kind of soil? IDK but people usally plant close to water source
How big does it grow and what kind of thingie do I need to build for it to grow on? trellis will do
Do they make a big bush or just a long climbing vine like other muscadines vine
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 09, 2013 1:33 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
M5farm wrote:GB it is a muscadine so treat the same way. over head trellis or wire works well because the fruit is heavy and will hang and easier pickin.

M5 that answer came a lil too quick... you seem to know alot about the muscadine grape family you down there making some muscadine grape wine and haven't shared ?

trade you a bottle of red for a bottle of clear
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 pm

2 reds for 1 clear and you got yourself a deal.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 09, 2013 1:42 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

we have several large orchards in our area and in my previous employment this particular or peculiar owner would sell me his produce every week and he would explain the process and the variety of his muscadines and scuppernongs . He would bring me plants and I gave them to family and friends and most of the time planted the vines for them. I have planted approx. 50 vines and they do produce very well. I do not have any as I usually get what I want from the friends and family. I do however have a wild bullis vine that produces the small purple grape. And in my opinion has a better flavor. I know several that make some wine. When I have tried it all I got was vinegar
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 pm

m5 what is a good fertilizer to use on the grape vines?
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm

trip 10 or 13 once established with a good vine- Chicken litter will burn the pizz out of them and kill some if there young. after that episode I haven't used it again.
water and good pruning are essential a little fert in the spring will help the new wood. I am of the opinion that less is more when adding fertilizer. I will give my trees and plants a small amount several times a year v/s heavy feeding once. Seems to work in my soil. cow or horse manure works too.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Gotcha I have new plants and probably wont fertilize till next year how long does it take for grapes to come on the vine ?
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu May 09, 2013 2:27 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Gotcha I have new plants and probably wont fertilize till next year how long does it take for grapes to come on the vine ?

a little fert approx 1 foot away from vine will not hurt.
if they were planted this year you should get some good runners and might see 1 or 2 grapes. I would not prune heavy till the third year. only prune to get the vine to spread out this winter. and next fall you should have some grapes to eat. plenty of water drip tape works well if you have several vines
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:47 pm

gotcha thanks buddy
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 am

Thanks all--I'll either make a tall walk under trellis or plant it along the garden hog/barbed wire fence.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri May 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Moms was planted along a hog wire fence. Her soil is pretty sandy and ot was in the ege of the yard so shade for about half the day. It jumped to the trees and took off. I thought i was going to pull the tree over on the tractor when i pulled it down.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”