a friend gave me a scuppernong plant

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: a friend gave me a scuppernong plant

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 pm

greybeard wrote:Thanks all--I'll either make a tall walk under trellis or plant it along the garden hog/barbed wire fence.

Greybeard, I was recently given some hybrid grapes bred for the south. These are similar to Thompson seedless but are heat tolerant. Anyway the guy who gave them to me is a plant guru of sorts and he suggested using two parallel wires which will make it easier to trim the vine. By placing a wire about 30" off the ground and training your main vine to this will allow the second year vines to attach to the second higher wire where the fruit will set. When it comes time to trim them you can just take some shears and cut everything between the two wires for the next year. According to him it will make maintenance a lot easier. I haven't done it yet but it makes sense. I have my posts set just need to run the wire now.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun May 12, 2013 10:53 pm

I planted it this afternoon, under a 2 rail 60' long wooden fence in front. If it grows, I'll add another set of posts and put in a parallel wire Jo.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 am

Good luck with them. I can attest that fox grape wine is pretty good stuff.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 am

I do not agree with the plant guru that the two wire trellis is less maintenance. One wire chest high, prune everything within 6 inches of the wire with gas powered hedge trimmers in the dormant season is less maintenance. :)
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 13, 2013 3:40 pm

ga.prime wrote:I do not agree with the plant guru that the two wire trellis is less maintenance. One wire chest high, prune everything within 6 inches of the wire with gas powered hedge trimmers in the dormant season is less maintenance. :)

That's how I've always seen it done to and thats how they have them at the winery near the house but I'm going to give it a try cause I picked grapes on his vine and by doing this all the grapes were on the second level and very easy to pick. I'm going to give it a try.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Mon May 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Let me know how it goes with the two wire. That's interesting that his had more grapes on the bottom wire. I tried one once and most of the grapes would be on top by a large margin. My dogs would eat the grapes on the bottom wire. :lol2:
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon May 13, 2013 8:54 pm

ga.prime wrote:Let me know how it goes with the two wire. That's interesting that his had more grapes on the bottom wire. I tried one once and most of the grapes would be on top by a large margin. My dogs would eat the grapes on the bottom wire. :lol2:

That's not what I meant. He used the bottom wire for the main vine and the fruit bearing runners attach to the top line and set fruit on it. I had never heard of doing this before but I've never heard of this variety of grape either. These are actually grapes and set in clustered bunches just like those in California but they are bred for our hot climate. I saw his vineyard at his house and this is how he had them set up and I was really impressed seeing bunches of grapes hanging from them. Looked very much like the Thompson's you'd see in the produce section at Harvey's. I plan on following what he said in case I kill them all and need some more. Seems like the right thing to do to cover my bases if you know what I mean.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 am

Jogeephus wrote: I plan on following what he said in case I kill them all and need some more. Seems like the right thing to do

I think that's a good idea! Maybe the two wire works best for that kind of grapes, all I've ever grown are muscadines. Did you get to eat any and find out if they taste as good as Thompson's seedless?
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 am

No, they were about a week from being ripe. I did have some wine though. It may, like you say, be done this way for the variety.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”