Peach Tree

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4955
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Peach Tree

Postby Kingfisher » Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 pm

Can you transplant a shoot from a peach tree?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

User avatar
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14387
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Peach Tree

Postby 3waycross » Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I have done it with plum trees. Got one 3 years ago from a buddy. It just bloomed this year for the first time.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Peach Tree

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 8:04 am

If what you're calling a shoot is a sprout coming out of the ground from the root system of the tree, what you'll get will be different than the tree. This is because peach and all other fruit trees that I have any knowledge of are grafted. This means the upper fruiting part of the tree is not the same as the bottom rooting part of the tree. What you could do is plant the shoot and graft a bud onto it from the fruiting part of the tree and then you'd get the same kind of tree you originally had.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
M5farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 am
Location: Sunshine State

Re: Peach Tree

Postby M5farm » Fri May 31, 2013 8:35 am

my peach trees were started from seed. my aunt plants the seed after she eats the peach in well drained moist soil. it takes 2 years before the seedling is ready to transplant and will bear fruit at 4 years. I don't know the variety but she just buys them at the grocery store.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Peach Tree

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 8:39 am

Are they cling or freestone, M5?
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14387
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Peach Tree

Postby 3waycross » Fri May 31, 2013 9:02 am

ga.prime wrote:If what you're calling a shoot is a sprout coming out of the ground from the root system of the tree, what you'll get will be different than the tree. This is because peach and all other fruit trees that I have any knowledge of are grafted. This means the upper fruiting part of the tree is not the same as the bottom rooting part of the tree. What you could do is plant the shoot and graft a bud onto it from the fruiting part of the tree and then you'd get the same kind of tree you originally had.



NOt arguing with you but my buddy has Peach trees that he planted from seeds 20 years ago and they work amazingly well in this climate zone. He regularly transplants sprouts off them and they do equally as well.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

User avatar
M5farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 am
Location: Sunshine State

Re: Peach Tree

Postby M5farm » Fri May 31, 2013 9:07 am

I would guess they are freestone. the pit comes out easy when broken in half.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Peach Tree

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 9:12 am

3waycross wrote:NOt arguing with you but my buddy has Peach trees that he planted from seeds 20 years ago and they work amazingly well in this climate zone. He regularly transplants sprouts off them and they do equally as well.

That's not a grafted tree. What I said previously applies only to grafted trees. No argument here either.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Peach Tree

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 am

M5farm wrote:I would guess they are freestone. the pit comes out easy when broken in half.

That's freestone, interesting. All the peach trees I've grown from seed (and that's very few) turn out to be cling. Cling peaches are good for pickling. Is the fruit of the trees grown from seed the same as the fruit the seed came from? Oftentimes it is not due to hybridization and that is why fruit trees are grafted.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
M5farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:06 am
Location: Sunshine State

Re: Peach Tree

Postby M5farm » Fri May 31, 2013 9:49 am

ga.prime wrote:
M5farm wrote:I would guess they are freestone. the pit comes out easy when broken in half.

That's freestone, interesting. All the peach trees I've grown from seed (and that's very few) turn out to be cling. Cling peaches are good for pickling. Is the fruit of the trees grown from seed the same as the fruit the seed came from? Oftentimes it is not due to hybridization and that is why fruit trees are grafted.

I don't have a clue about 10 years ago she asked me if i wanted a few trees. I transplaned them and have had peaches since. they are about the size of a lemon and very sweet. I do know if you dont prune correctly they wont make like they should. I only have 4 trees and the peach farming world does not have to worry about me starting an orchard.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Peach Tree

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 am

ga.prime wrote:This is because peach and all other fruit trees that I have any knowledge of are grafted.

When I made this statement I did not mean to imply that you couldn't grow a fruit tree from seed. I meant that if you go to a nursery or the gardening section of Home Depot or Walmart and buy a fruit tree, there is a 100% chance it will be a grafted named variety. If growing fruit trees from seed works for you, great. All the fruit trees I've grown from seed- pecan, peach, pear- have been disappointments and not the same as the parent tree. I have limited experience and there are exceptions to everything.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Peach Tree

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 2:26 pm

OK, that was probably confusing. Here's a better answer for Kingfish than the first one I said which was assuming the tree from which the shoot was coming was a grafted tree. Kingfish asked if he could plant a shoot growing from a peach tree. Yes, you can plant a shoot growing from the rootstock of the tree, grafted or seedling. If the peach tree is a seedling you will get a peach tree the same as the original. If the tree is grafted you will certainly not get a peach tree the same as the original.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4955
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: Peach Tree

Postby Kingfisher » Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Besides being a bit focused on your avitar .....I got it the first time. :) I appreciate all the relplies and I think everybody is spot on. I think I might try planting the "root stock" from this home depot tree just for grins. Since tge rodents eat the fruit anyway all you can hope for us some shade.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.


Return to “Gardening”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest