sweet corn tasseled out

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

sweet corn tasseled out

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:24 pm

i got my corn in my garden and grandmas tasseling out...WTF its only3 feet tall... I aint gonna replant it so we shall see what is gonna happen. anyone else have that issue going on? My row crop corn seems to be ok but i planted that maybe 2 weeks after the garden.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: sweet corn tasseled out

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 am

Unless you've had a lot of drought stress or possibly cold stress on the corn I'd say you planted a variety that only gets 3 ft tall.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:09 am

ga. we had that heavy frost after I planted it but didnt seem to affect it then we had nights where it was 40 and 80 during the day for a good 2 weeks weather has been crazy. It isnt all of it just some of it. I wondered if I should cut the tassel off and see what happens but either way if it doesnt grow ears of corn the cows will have the stalks for dinner.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri May 31, 2013 8:21 am

I'm not anywhere near an expert on corn but it seems to me that corn is going to tassel a set number of days after you plant it no matter what. So, if it got stunted by the weather it's not going to reach full height when those days are up. I wouldn't cut the tassel off.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:46 am

Gotcha I guess I will leave it alone then that was strange i never experienced that before.
0 x

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 am

Had that happen one year when we had a cold spring. They were small ears but still tasty.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:03 am

Howdyjabo wrote:Had that happen one year when we had a cold spring. They were small ears but still tasty.

I can deal with that lol but maybe i can put some 46-0-0 and make the ears a lil bigger :lol:
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm

I don't know sh_t about corn but ga.prime i sure like your new look.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I don't know sh_t about corn but ga.prime i sure like your new look.

I agree ... :D
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Our corn is short like that also. It looks so odd, but it tastes great. The ears are so close to the ground.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 pm

some of mine is getting ears now its about 3 feet tall and I hope it tastes good
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Was thinking mine was taller than normal. Picked the first mess of ears this afternoon. To my way of thinking the ears are smaller than normal.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:35 am

strange year for corn on my end .. .
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:39 am

My corn is already in the freezer and in jars--only thing that did really well this year, but for whatever reason, only 1 ear per stalk and yes, shorter stalks than in previous years.
The BT (diper dust) did work too--very very few silk worms this year.

I've planted some yellow dent in the same rows the sweet corn was in, just to see some tall corn for a change.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 am

congrats I swear someone must have labeled the corn wrong cause i got a row of looks like dwarf corn ears already started on it... oh well hope it taste good lol
0 x

Return to “Gardening”