weed free gardening & dogs

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
HOSS
GURU
GURU

weed free gardening & dogs

Postby HOSS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 pm

I hate weeds. This year I decided to do something different and try to go weed free. Since my garden is smallish in size I bought a big roll of that landscaping material that allows water through but not weeds. I covered the garden with it completely and then cut x's in it to plant my vegetables. My plan is to cover it with mulch. My dogs have been getting in it and chewing on the fabric so last night I fixed their little red wagon. I put two strands of poly wire around it and hooked it up to my zebra charger. Sometime last night after dark I heard a loud yelp. I went out this morning and the fabric was just as I left it.......I bet their old noses are still smarting and they give the garden a wide birth :lol:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: weed free gardening & dogs

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:41 pm

LMAO... Hoss.. Iwith planting like that what all did you plant in the garden? How do you fertilize?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:LMAO... Hoss.. Iwith planting like that what all did you plant in the garden? How do you fertilize?

I planted tomatoes, peppers, squash, watermelons, bush beans and cilantro. My parents put in a big garden with corn, cucumbers etc. so I didn't bother with those.

I tilled in horse manure before I put the landscaping material down. I hate, hate, hate weeding. Especially when it is 98 degrees out. Hopefully this will keep me mostly weed free.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 pm

I hope you have better luck with the fabric than I did. Honestly, it made things worse for me. Though I had less weeds, I still had a lot. And most of the ones I had grew through the fabric. Talk about a PITA to get rid of. I tried Preen last year and it made me a believer. I’m not sure how it works, but it really makes a difference.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:36 pm

HOSS wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:LMAO... Hoss.. Iwith planting like that what all did you plant in the garden? How do you fertilize?

I planted tomatoes, peppers, squash, watermelons, bush beans and cilantro. My parents put in a big garden with corn, cucumbers etc. so I didn't bother with those.

I tilled in horse manure before I put the landscaping material down. I hate, hate, hate weeding. Especially when it is 98 degrees out. Hopefully this will keep me mostly weed free.

Gotcha... I know someone that did the exact same thing minus the netting and there garden died.. they got horse poo from a stable that used grazon and forefront r&p and horses ate it no problem but it came out it was still in their poo and then active enough to kill the garden plants.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm

news paper/ card board covered in straw works real well in small gardens.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:09 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Gotcha... I know someone that did the exact same thing minus the netting and there garden died.. they got horse poo from a stable that used grazon and forefront r&p and horses ate it no problem but it came out it was still in their poo and then active enough to kill the garden plants.

Some herbicide labels warn about doing that..

If you need to fertilize, use liquid. I never put much faith in the miraclegro crystals you put in the garden hose sprayer jug, but the newer liquid version seems to be getting good results around here from everyone that used it the last couple of years. Kinda pricey tho if ya have a big garden--I haven't tried it, but my b-i-l did and he has more squash and tomatoes than he can give away.
I did use the fabric this year on a couple of small raised beds in the yard--one I have strawberry plants in. Works great, except the berry vines have no way to put down roots when they send out runners. No weeds tho is worth it.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:35 pm

gardens are too big for the fabric and i always like cultivating fertilizer in the soil by side dressing
0 x

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Horse manure came from my horses so I know what they grazed on and what was in the hay. Works pretty good.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 pm

plant onions in horse manure dirt that was tilled in really good those things will weigh over a lb each
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:32 am

Checked my strawberries in the raised beds today. Both have turned into huge fire ant beds under the landscape fabric. :devil2:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:54 am

that really sucks
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:37 am

The wife decided on trying the fabric last season in the tomato bed. I tilled it and put the fabric down, then planted and finished by covering in mulch. We still had plenty of grass and weeds come through the fabric. This year when I started to till I asked her how she was going to handle the mulch and fabric. She decided that raking the mulch and pulling the fabric would work. Wrong! Ended up tilling it all under except what fabric stuck to the tines.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Gardening”