Cucumbers. Self pollination

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Cucumbers. Self pollination

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:04 pm

I never did a vine....;). Any way my cucumbers growing on a panel on a fence are growing and flowering for a couple of weeks now but ni sign of any fruit. Whats going on DL you think? Thanks in advance.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Cucumbers. Self pollination

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:07 pm

How much water are they getting and what type of fertilizer did you use?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Cow poop. Plenty of water. It's so hot here I put em in a spot that isn't too sunny. I've been noticing the dirts staying wet but it's growing good and looks good but it's about two full weeks of flower but no fruit.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:33 pm

So you don't use any commercial chemicals? I will tell you this mine did the same this year and recently we started getting one inch of rain a day and now my vines are loaded. I have never grown them on a fence panel and never used cow poop but I think you should be fine but I think if you had given a little bit of 10-10-10 atleast the cucumbers would probably grown a lil faster. I just planted my 2nd growing of cucumbers last sunday and with all the rain and the 19-19-19 mixed into the soil in the hills they are already sprouting out the ground.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 pm

I've used some miracle grow on em. Probably why they are tinged a little in some leaves. I take it your saying cucumber are heavy feeders? My experience us that leaves em tainted. My vines are healthy
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:52 pm

King yes they love Nitrogen and love water and plenty of both.. I usually cultivate the fertilizer in a few times to make sure those greedy pigs get enough fertilizer. I am not a expert gardener just can only speak of my results. I would like to add I try to put alot of nitrogen on fruits that grow above the ground and alot of phosphorus-potassium on items that grow below the ground as in white potatoes sweet potatoes carrots stuff like that.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 am

Gotta have pollinators...ie...bees and such
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:31 am

I haven't seen a bee on my place in a long arse time other than carpenter bees mine seem to have done fine.. I guess my variety is self polinating.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 am

skyhightree1 wrote:I haven't seen a bee on my place in a long arse time other than carpenter bees mine seem to have done fine.. I guess my variety is self polinating.

maybe you have the "and such..." :lol:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 pm

:lol:
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Simple. Cukes are one of those plants where the first bunch of blooms you see are always all "male" blooms . No 'fruit' will come from these blooms. A week or so later, the other blooms (female) appear and it is only from these blooms that the cukes grow. You may just have to be a little more patient.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:27 am

greybeard wrote:Simple. Cukes are one of those plants where the first bunch of blooms you see are always all "male" blooms . No 'fruit' will come from these blooms. A week or so later, the other blooms (female) appear and it is only from these blooms that the cukes grow. You may just have to be a little more patient.

Yup, most cucurbits are like this (unless you have a variety that is gynoecious - these produce all or mostly female flowers and require a second variety planted for male flowers).

The female flowers will have an itty bitty fuzzy fruit behind the flower. the male flowers have just stem behind the flower.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Return to “Gardening”