Need suggestions for tree variety

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Need suggestions for tree variety

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 am

ga.prime wrote:I'm not suggesting jsm should plant pine trees on his drive but I planted these 12 years ago and at the time had a barbed wire fence there. The cows would push over the wire to graze on the trees and I had to put that hot wire there. The hot wire doesn't show up too good in the pic but theres one there- 4 strands up to about 48 inches high. I also tried planting a couple of magnolias inside triangles within the pasture. I made the triangles out of deck boards nailed to creosote posts. I didn't make them big enough. I really didn't think a cow would eat a stinking magnolia and I put the triangles there just to keep the trees from being rubbed and stomped to death. The cows ate every limb off the trees. So, if using the triangle method, just make sure they're big enough that cows can't reach what's inside.

Looks good ga. alot of people around here do the same to their driveways.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jsm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jsm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm

All,
Thanks for all the replies. I have been doing quite a bit of researching. It seems like the Lacebark Elm (suggested earlier) might be a good fit for me. The Texas A&M website shows it to be a good choice for my county.

I need to see where I can buy some of those. Maybe stagger in a liveoak here and there. I think I do need to figure out how to protect them from the cows - a robust solution, that is.

Joseph
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Lacebark elms, that's what's planted at the walmart parking lot.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

lynnmcmahan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby lynnmcmahan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Fred wrote:A live oak can be pretty fast growing if it gets enough water and fertilizer. It cost more, but you can buy some nice size container trees that don't take that long to make a nice tree.

You might be surprised how fast live oak can be grown from seed. Also, bald cypress do good in or out of water. Pecan trees do well in the southeast in pastures if protected for about five years.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Lacebark elms, formerly known as Chinese elms.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 pm

lynnmcmahan wrote:You might be surprised how fast live oak can be grown from seed.

I've grown hundreds from acorns and you're right, they're not slow by any definition. I don't know where the rumor for them being slow growing came from unless it was people trying to grow them someplace they're not suited for.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

If you get the Chinese elms, pray a Siberian elm doesn't get slipped in with the mix. They're indistinguishable as seedlings.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:33 pm

jsm wrote: I think I do need to figure out how to protect them from the cows - a robust solution, that is.

For each tree, get three 12' Priefert premier panels and make a triangle and center a tree in the enclosure. The panels are $159 each. Is that robust enough for you? :lol2:
0 x

lynnmcmahan
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby lynnmcmahan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:40 pm

ga.prime wrote:
lynnmcmahan wrote:You might be surprised how fast live oak can be grown from seed.

I've grown hundreds from acorns and you're right, they're not slow by any definition. I don't know where the rumor for them being slow growing came from unless it was people trying to grow them someplace they're not suited for.

I think people look at a 100 year old live oak tree and then look at it 10 years later and can't see much growth.
I wish I would have planted 100 black walnuts 40 years ago.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm

I hear you. Walnuts grow pretty fast too.
0 x

Fred
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:33 pm

You could check out the Cedar elm which is a native Texas tree.
0 x
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Don McCallum
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Don McCallum » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:40 am

I would plant the best varieties of pecan trees, for my family and myself, and sawtooth acorn trees for deer. You
should have plenty of squirrels when they mature!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:42 pm

jsm wrote:All, thanks for the replies. These purpose of these trees is a visual break I guess, so the driveway isn't so barren. Just had a fence dozed out that was all horseapple trees and mustang grape vines (the previous owner did a good job neglecting things the last 20 years).

Funny post on the chinese tallow. I think that would certainly top the sweetgum with people telling me I have lost it. :lol:

These trees will see cattle traffic around them, although I plan on putting small barbed wire triangles around them.

Joseph

JSM sweet gums are not native to central Texas anyway. Never seen one out here in the wild. Don't know if they would grow or not. Most pine trees do no do well out here either. Heck if it's just a driveway plant some crepe myrtles. They don't get huge but will give some definition to the area and are awfully pretty when they bloom. Very hearty as well.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

jsm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jsm » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Well, I think I have decided on live oak. Cedar elms look good, but are expensive. I can get 15 gallon live oaks for $20. I figure that I will trench in a water line out there to them. That should fix the slow growth issue, to some extent.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”