Got Potatoes?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got Potatoes?

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:thanks Ga. I love taters my wife said umm... thats alot of potatoes umm.. i can tell im gonna be tired of them real soon lol.

Diggin' might be easier if you'd graze it down a bit first. :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

True statement lol I would do that if the cattle wouldnt eat my sweet tater vines lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:13 pm

That's a span of spuds Sky :shock:

Out of interest how do you intend storing them? I read an article the other day that discussed 'hardening off' the spuds. What they do is lay the spuds on newspaper or a sheet (single layer of spuds) and then cover them with newspaper for about a week in a darkish room. The skins harden in this period, they then pack them in boxes and store in a very dark room and they last well into winter. Then I've heard some people store their spuds in the ground and cover with mulch/straw quite successfully. Another that I heard, apparently putting a couple of apples in the box with the spuds stops them from sprouting. :???:
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 pm

alisonb wrote:That's a span of spuds Sky :shock:

Out of interest how do you intend storing them? I read an article the other day that discussed 'hardening off' the spuds. What they do is lay the spuds on newspaper or a sheet (single layer of spuds) and then cover them with newspaper for about a week in a darkish room. The skins harden in this period, they then pack them in boxes and store in a very dark room and they last well into winter. Then I've heard some people store their spuds in the ground and cover with mulch/straw quite successfully. Another that I heard, apparently putting a couple of apples in the box with the spuds stops them from sprouting. :???:

alison yes it is and I haven't dug them all yet I kept about 50 lbs in which i used the chopper to chop them in lil squares and put in gallon freezer bags I have about 20 of those in the freezer the others we are using them durig the week to eat. This last row i will lay out on the trailer for a couple of days let them get air and put them in a bin in my barn and store them there with crushed limestone on them. they should last till spring im guessing I may can some too.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:48 am

Sky - is the limestone used for it's antimicrobial/antifungal properties or is there something more to it?
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:48 am

alisonb wrote:Sky - is the limestone used for it's antimicrobial/antifungal properties or is there something more to it?

Prevents mold and helps keep them fresh... I got more taters that I need to dig up and put in some bins and will put them in lime and take pics for yall
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 pm

alison - I dug the last 50 feet of taters today and I took couple pics of how i lime and store them.

0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:26 am

Great Sky, let us know how they last. Think you are gonna get some really crispy fries when you eventually use those spuds :D
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:38 pm

alisonb wrote:Great Sky, let us know how they last. Think you are gonna get some really crispy fries when you eventually use those spuds :D

lol they will be fine thats how the taters were all treated as I grew up. They will last till probably december we will have them all ate up by then
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 am

Neighbor stores his under a barn on a length of chain link fence he fashioned as a table. Keeps them dry, out of the sun and allows for plenty of air circulation around them.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am

That sounds pretty interesting. Most people never knew you can put lime on them.
0 x

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:13 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:thanks Ga. I love taters my wife said umm... thats alot of potatoes umm.. i can tell im gonna be tired of them real soon lol.

You can get tired of potatoes? Growing up we had them every meal and I never got tired of them. Fried with bacon and onions for breakfast (still my favorite way to eat them), mashed, boiled, baked.... for dinner and supper.
0 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:16 pm

hillbilly beef man wrote:

You can get tired of potatoes? Growing up we had them every meal and I never got tired of them. Fried with bacon and onions for breakfast (still my favorite way to eat them), mashed, boiled, baked.... for dinner and supper.

I love taters... I would eat them 3 times a day if i could... i do like them how you said for bfast but i like adding sausage and scrambled eggs into the eggs in a mixture
0 x

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:30 am

Didn't put in spuds this year, but the tomatoes are really coming on strong! Am just about ready to re-home some vs. messing w/ them.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:30 pm

lol rehome thats funny
0 x

Return to “Gardening”