Tips for dealing with weeds in the garden?

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
CottageFarm
-

Re: Tips for dealing with weeds in the garden?

Postby CottageFarm » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:33 pm

I'm guessing translation issues. I'm thinking English isn't her/his native language.

I missed this thread originally, but for next time... There is no magic bullet. It's a pain no matter what you do.
I agree with mulching between rows and around plants. straw, grass clippings, shredded paper, whatever you have. Layers of newspaper under the mulch also work well to help conserve moisture in the soil and act as a barrier for weed seeds from the straw or grass clipping. Ditto also to 3ways comment about clipping treated with weed/feed or any other type of herbicide. A tiller or cultivator do work well between rows, but as mentioned, they will also bring seeds to the surface where germination conditions might be more friendly.
Also agree drips are wonderful for putting water only where you need it and also help eliminate the favorable disease conditions you get with overhead watering, especially with tomatoes and cucurbits.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:35 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
ga.prime wrote:That was kind of random and hard to follow, 007. Is that poetry? Alternate to your plan- roto-till weeds, hoe weeds, pull weeds by hand.

I thought so too.. then shrugged it off as to 007 was smoking some weed when posted that.

:lol2: I'd love to see a pic of 007's garden. Here's a pic of part of my garden from back in June using my weed management plan.

0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:18 pm

[quote="g

I thought so too.. then shrugged it off as to 007 was smoking some weed when posted that.[/quote]
:lol2: I'd love to see a pic of 007's garden. Here's a pic of part of my garden from back in June using my weed management plan.

Image[/quote]

When do you have time to take care of maintenance on your avatar? :banana: :banana:
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 pm

bbirder wrote:When do you have time to take care of maintenance on your avatar? :banana: :banana:

:lol2: It's not easy!
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 pm

[quote="CottageFarm"]. There is no magic bullet. It's a pain no matter what you do.
quote]

I disagree my big garden is 2-2.5 acres and takes me 5 mins to cultivate the rows lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:53 pm

ga.prime wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
ga.prime wrote:That was kind of random and hard to follow, 007. Is that poetry? Alternate to your plan- roto-till weeds, hoe weeds, pull weeds by hand.

I thought so too.. then shrugged it off as to 007 was smoking some weed when posted that.

Garden looks good ga.prime
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:08 pm

That does look great. I like your planning with the corn and the okra. Good thinking.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:12 pm

That's a garden ga.prime!!! By the way, corn gluten "meal" is used for weed control. Allows germination of seed but prevents formation of roots, does not harm plants that already have roots. Depending on rain/water the gluten lasts for about 3 months. the "feed" version works just takes more. It didn't rain enough here this year to worry about weeds LOL.
Blessings
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Poast is a selective straight leaf postemerge herbicide that can be applied onto vegetables except for corn. If you want preemerge, look at Montery Vegetable and Ornamental Weeder. Preemerge will prevent seeds from germinating, but is labelled for vegetables and ornamentals. Tomatoes need transplant and not seed, but is the only vegetable that needs transplanting.

Poast needs crop oil or spreader sticker and is slow to work. Don't expect to see results
Until 2-3 weeks after application. Much longer than glyphosate (roundup) which is generally 2-3 days to see results.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:21 pm

If you have a smaller garden either bagging or raking up lawn clippings to use at mulch works great. I do that for mine and only weeding I have to do is near the plants where I don't mulch right up against the plant. I add more clipping to it during the summer as they will start composting down some on its own then in the fall till it into the garden soil with any other compost I have from my compost pile and it makes for some really nice soil that plants grow well in after it composts down more once you work it into the soil.
0 x

kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kucala5 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:23 am

I cut open a paper feed sack, lay it flat, cut a hole for tomato or pepper plant in the middle. Works great and tills in at end of season. My cages anchor the sack.
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Gardening”