Tomato issue

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Tomato issue

Postby SPH » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 pm

So finally got some of my first tomatoes this week and found some that the bottom sides were soft, almost as if they had started to rot and even some of the green ones have this. Any ideas what it could be? Been so dry lately hard to imagine it is a fungus problem since all my other vegetables seem to be doing well. May try to snag a picture of one and post
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Tomato issue

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am

Sounds like blossom end rot. Can remedy with an application of magnesium. Too late this year but next year remember to put a tablespoon of Epsom salt to the hole for each tomato you plant and problem should be solved.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:51 am

SPH wrote:So finally got some of my first tomatoes this week and found some that the bottom sides were soft, almost as if they had started to rot and even some of the green ones have this. Any ideas what it could be? Been so dry lately hard to imagine it is a fungus problem since all my other vegetables seem to be doing well. May try to snag a picture of one and post

I'ts also been hot and you've watering.....am I right?
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:14 am

blossom end rot is due to a lack of calcium. it can affect squash and cucumbers too. we had the problem with our zucchini and watered & sprayed the plants with milk. It solved our problem.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-28-d.html

0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

DavisBeefmasters
Rancher
Rancher

Postby DavisBeefmasters » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Can also appear from over watering with a simple correction of ensuring it is dry as a bone at least 1 to 1 1/2 inches down before you water again.
0 x

SPH
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SPH » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Yeah looks like blossom end rot but not to the extent of some of the examples shown. It's dry here, I don't over water though, ground is cracked and probably should be watering more if anything. Probably a calcium issue. Thanks for the tips. By this time next year I hope to be in a new house so will probably have a whole new set of challenges starting a garden in some new soil.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”