Worms and turnips

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
Alan
GURU
GURU

Worms and turnips

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:04 pm

I love raw turnips sliced with some salt, so I grow a few every year in my garden. Every year when I pick one or all I have a worm invasion. Is there any trick to keep worms or grubs ...... Whatever out of of the turnips?

Thanks,
Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Worms and turnips

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm

Have you tried spraying liquid 7 on them frequently that is what I do.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:47 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Have you tried spraying liquid 7 on them frequently that is what I do.

Thanks sky, I'm just tired of cutting out 30 to 50% of the turnip to get good stuff to eat. Every year, but they don't touch radishes. :?
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:54 pm

i got a million turnip seeds to plant my only issue I have ever had was growing turnips in the summer they get woody in the middle and are unedible. I spray all my stuff with liquid 7 this year and it cut down on alot of issues i had in the past. I sprayed corn silk and it cut down on corn works too. lol I cant say as I blame the worms I dont like radishes either lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:02 pm

What!!! You haven't lived until you have had a radish sandwhich! Simple to make , butter a piece of bread, spread sliced radishes on half, salt to taste, fold other half over and enjoy! Mom was from Mississippi and she gave them to me as a kid ...... Still love them.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Alan wrote:What!!! You haven't lived until you have had a radish sandwhich! Simple to make , butter a piece of bread, spread sliced radishes on half, salt to taste, fold other half over and enjoy! Mom was from Mississippi and she gave them to me as a kid ...... Still love them.

:shock: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: I will stick to turnips boiled with fat meat and sugar lol
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Alan wrote:What!!! You haven't lived until you have had a radish sandwhich! Simple to make , butter a piece of bread, spread sliced radishes on half, salt to taste, fold other half over and enjoy! Mom was from Mississippi and she gave them to me as a kid ...... Still love them.

:shock: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: I will stick to turnips boiled with fat meat and sugar lol

OH MAN! You just ruined a good turnip..... :D
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:32 am

Most of our sandwiches were some kind of garden crop. When I was a kid, onion and tomato sandwich was my favorite. Didn't know what "lunch" meat was. Bologna was a rare treat
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am

Thinly slice radish, sprinkle with a little salt....take a sip of ice cold beer, swallow and then pop a sliver of radish in your mouth....repeat :D
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 pm

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

OH MAN! You just ruined a good turnip..... :D

:o come on now you gotta try it
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:16 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

Oh believe me....I've HAD to eat cooked turnip and turnip greens......don't have to anymore. :D Lets just say, send some of your radishes and you can have all my cooked turnips....but do leave me a few raw ones. :nod:
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:30 pm

1982vett wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Oh believe me....I've HAD to eat cooked turnip and turnip greens......don't have to anymore. :D Lets just say, send some of your radishes and you can have all my cooked turnips....but do leave me a few raw ones. :nod:

Deal lol I want some fresh turnips now thanks for conjuring my taste buds up for some.
0 x

Return to “Gardening”