Good or Bad Idea

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Good or Bad Idea

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I have tons of potatoes that are starting to go bad cause they are in my house in the kitchen and my thoughts were to get a lil metal shed or small 8x8 shed and put all my taters and canned goods in there hang meat there or whatever and run a a/c unit when those items are in there till winter comes do yall think it will help keep the taters longer as well as good for the canned goods ? I don't have a basement in this house so now im seeing what happens with taters when u dont have one?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Re: Good or Bad Idea

Postby cross_7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 pm

How many dang tater do you have ?
A 10# sack only a couple bucks
Whats it going to cost for the building, a/c, electricity ?
Throw them away and buy a new sack when you need them
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 pm

cross_7 wrote:How many dang tater do you have ?
A 10# sack only a couple bucks
Whats it going to cost for the building, a/c, electricity ?
Throw them away and buy a new sack when you need them

LOL I have 280lbs so far still have more that need to get harvested soon. I know I know but a garden fresh tater is so good I gotta keep growing them lol Building I could build myself probably cost me300 bucks electricity maybe 10 bucks a month for 3 months so maybe 30 bucks a year. I guess what I will do is start eating them in june so by time july august gets here wont have so many or only plant 1 row I just love taters... I also planted 1500 sweet tater slips so it would be used for those too lol
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Why don't you just look into a cold cellar/storm shelter.
You can make a nice one out of buried buses or cargo boxes. Fill it up and you will have plenty to eat on if it gets rough outside :)
Build a hut on the outside to hold a generator and you are all set.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:54 am

How long you been storing them for?
I harvested mine in April, a couple going a bit wrinkly and they're all sprouting but otherwise perfectly edible. If I hadn't just moved house I would be getting new crop about November and the ones I've got should be good for that long. They're in the bottom of a dark cupboard, in cardboard boxes.

If you want a shed you build one, I wouldn't do it just for potatoes.
You need one anyway, to store your garden tools and for a potting bench and painting projects and stacking cow mineral and feed.

Don't know if it'd work in a colder climate - I planted mine in autumn the last two years, with turnip seed. The turnips keep the frost off them, so the plants are already mature in early spring. Pulling the turnips out was a chore though, and not improved by the cows standing at the fence ordering me to hurry up and get those turnips greens on their side.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:47 am

Howdyjabo wrote:Why don't you just look into a cold cellar/storm shelter.
You can make a nice one out of buried buses or cargo boxes. Fill it up and you will have plenty to eat on if it gets rough outside :)

Ditto... :tiphat:
Above ground storage would have to be cooled (chilled really, 'cause you want it 50-60 degrees) in the summer and heated in the winter, and switched back and forth in the fall and spring.
Below ground will give you a pretty constant temp that's perfect for both fresh produce like taters, cabbage, and root veges, as well as canned goods. And of course you get the added benefit of a storm shelter (or doomsday thing). If you have a high water table you may need to dehumidify, but that's not nearly as much of a PITA as heating and cooling.
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:52 pm

lol id have to buy a bus then bury it so may as well build a shed lol... Although we have been looking at storm shelters i dont think the bus is the solution lol

regolith wrote:How long you been storing them for?
I harvested mine in April, a couple going a bit wrinkly and they're all sprouting but otherwise perfectly edible. If I hadn't just moved house I would be getting new crop about November and the ones I've got should be good for that long. They're in the bottom of a dark cupboard, in cardboard boxes.

If you want a shed you build one, I wouldn't do it just for potatoes.
You need one anyway, to store your garden tools and for a potting bench and painting projects and stacking cow mineral and feed.

Don't know if it'd work in a colder climate - I planted mine in autumn the last two years, with turnip seed. The turnips keep the frost off them, so the plants are already mature in early spring. Pulling the turnips out was a chore though, and not improved by the cows standing at the fence ordering me to hurry up and get those turnips greens on their side.

I dug most a few weeks ago but our seasons here are totally different you get one shot to grow taters here not 2 times a year. They are in my pantry now but thats not working out too well.

CottageFarm wrote:

Ditto... :tiphat:
Above ground storage would have to be cooled (chilled really, 'cause you want it 50-60 degrees) in the summer and heated in the winter, and switched back and forth in the fall and spring.
Below ground will give you a pretty constant temp that's perfect for both fresh produce like taters, cabbage, and root veges, as well as canned goods. And of course you get the added benefit of a storm shelter (or doomsday thing). If you have a high water table you may need to dehumidify, but that's not nearly as much of a PITA as heating and cooling.

Heating and cooling is pretty easy to me put the ac unit in the window keep it cold till it gets cold here then I dont have to worry about it anymore
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I wondered how long you were going to try and save those taters....you really need to start thinking ahead....
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 pm

yea my thinking is next year start digging hills in june and eating some each week so so wont have so many lol I have been giving them away but still have 50 lbs left lol I gave some to each employee when they got there check lol
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:38 am

We canned ours last year cause we had so many. We had about 45 quarts.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:26 am

canned taters hmm... never thought about that and or freezing them in diced taters and or hash brown shreds
0 x

CottageFarm
-

Postby CottageFarm » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 am

I freeze mine. Put them in acidulated ice water bath after slicing/dicing/shredding ( I use lemon juice for the acid )
Then put them in a salad spinner to remove all water. then pat with towels to really remove water.
Bag & freeze. Not as good as fresh, but the next best thing to fresh
0 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 pm

CottageFarm wrote:I freeze mine. Put them in acidulated ice water bath after slicing/dicing/shredding ( I use lemon juice for the acid )
Then put them in a salad spinner to remove all water. then pat with towels to really remove water.

im gonna have to try that.. .I dont have a salad spinner but will try it
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:02 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
CottageFarm wrote:I freeze mine. Put them in acidulated ice water bath after slicing/dicing/shredding ( I use lemon juice for the acid )

the washing machine will work if the wifes not home. washing machings work real good for washing greens
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:14 pm

M5farm wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

the washing machine will work if the wifes not home. washing machings work real good for washing greens

M5 I will try it but im gonna need you to fix me up with a comfy couch if I get caught lol
0 x

Return to “Gardening”